Solved

Help copying repeating section XML between lists & reusing it in another repeating section

• 26 June 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +8

I am struggling with how to work with the XML generated by a repeating section. Here is the background info:

Nintex for Office 365

I have a form that a Hiring Manager uses to request permissions to SharePoint Sites for their new hires. The form has a repeating section on it. In the repeating section are three fields:

1. two list look-up fields that cascade
  2. option field for selecting permission level.

The first list lookup is a dropdown of site collections and the second list lookup is a multi-select field showing the Site Names for the selected site collection. I got all cascading working just fine. I also have the repeating section XML saving to the list column just fine and am capturing the values of the lookup lists, not just their IDs.

When the Hiring Manager form is submitted, a workflow creates a new item in the IT on-boarding list populating simple fields like User name, department, supervisor, etc. from the Hiring Manager list. That all works. What I want to be able to do is get the XML from the Hiring Manger list and include it in the new IT list record as well.  I want to have a repeating section on the IT form (formatted same as on Hiring Manager form) that reads the copied XML and displays the requested items. I am having a bear-of-a-time getting that to work.

Thanks

Dean Virag

icon

Best answer by eharris04 27 June 2019, 22:29

View original

3 replies

Badge +17

@deanvirag If you structure the form from the HR form to the IT form as the same structure, you should be able to copy the multi-line of text data (the raw XML) and paste it to the new list without an issue.

Alternatively, you could strip the data out using the query XML action, then use a for each loop to go through and create a new list in a string variable or collection to push to the IT item for that request. If you want the data to look the same, just shown on the IT form, then use the create new item, and copy the multi-line from one item to the other. This should be doable and not so difficult. 

Then just make sure the repeating section in the IT form is set up similar and it should show the same structure when in display.

Badge +8

Thanks for the help Eric. Your suggestions are very similar to those I found on another post related to this topic. I was able to resolve the issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I've been looking for a solution to the same problem the @deanvirag was asking - but testing shows your first suggestion not to work for me. To recap:

- Add a repeating section to a form on List A -> connect the section to a MLT (plain text) field.

- On submit, have a WF copy the list item incl. MLT field data and create a new item on List B.

- On List B, create a form with a repeating section with all the same fields as the List A form - same field names, etc. Link this to the MLT (plain text) field on List B.

Unfortunately, this does not work.

Using a New Responsive Designer form, all the field names in the XML appear as long strings of random text (GUIDs?) rather than displaying field names and the strings for the similarly named controls/fields between lists don't match.

So am I missing something? Or is it necessary to either build with an old form type, or something else?