Getting the HTML from a list item to convert to PDF

• 15 March 2021
  • 4 replies

At work, my job relies partly on a third-party vendor for PDF conversion. This is possible on the SharePoint on-premise version of Nintex but on O365 it's a completely different problem. We haven't been able to do this at all.

Since we're not able to rely on this tech for converting to PDF in Nintex for O365, it makes it difficult for the clients we work with who want PDF copies of form submissions. It's just better to stick to Nintex for SharePoint on-premises. However, I'm hoping to find a solution that I can use here.

I did some digging to determine how the list item's form is rendered. When you go to the list item URL, the resulting form is embedded in an iframe and looks to be injected with JavaScript. I don't understand the full process though.

The third party I use has a REST API where I can pass in HTML to be converted. I would like to know if there is a URL I can use to get the form HTML that I can then use to convert to a target format?

4 replies

Userlevel 2

I am not to sure, if you need any special feature on the form

How I have implemented this Nintex for O365 is as follows

1) Create replica of Nintex form using word

2) Save word document(form) in a document library as a template

3) Use Nintex workflow DocGen action to apply metadata on the word template using document tagger

4) Convert DocGen created, populated word file to pdf with DocGen

5) Consume PDF file on emails or file it in doc library

I hope this makes sense 

Regards

Ashish 

Badge +4
Muhimbi has a online version of it's Conversion Tool that might work for you:
https://www.muhimbi.com/Products/PDF-Converter-Online
I am aware of this option, however I don't think we can make use of this for budget reasons. Also, it is not very robust in the sense we'd have to create a template anytime we wish to convert a form into PDF, which requires labor time. Nice idea though!

I know. We use this in our Nintex for SharePoint On-Premises solution already. Very nice product!

However, they as of yet do not have the same level of access in the Nintex for O365 product as they do the on-premises solution as far as they and I are both concerned. They can convert to PDF, but as of our last attempted solution, we'd have to manually craft the HTML with the list items. I'm looking for an automatic solution.