Generate a .PDF version of a document on approval

• 22 July 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +9

Hi

I can see the Document Generation Action is going to be great for pre-populating forms etc. However, when I want to auto create a pdf version of say company document on approval, then I am struggling to see how this helps.  Has anyone else found a solution this?

Daniel

5 replies

Badge +7

Hi Daniel,

Not sure we got the point taken or question here.

I don't see Document Generation Action as a tool to "pre-populate forms" but on the contrary as the tool to "print" a document from forms and list items that have been finalised. ie. "set in stone" document that will not move, for archiving / printing / auditing purposes.

Your second point:  Can you explain furthermore what you would like to achieve as a "company document on approval" ?  so that we can all collaborate on the best option. There is a few options possible, between Doc Gen, Adobe, DocuSign...

Badge +9

Franciois

Ok, I will give you some context.  In this case I build a state machine to cover the various approval stages needed when producing a corporate policy for wider consumption.  In this, case the document will change as content is added or removed. If was to use the Document Generation Action then it seemed to need too many manual steps for configuring the template file path and also inserting document properties in the desired document locations. I was expecting to setup file path vars for source and destination files and just seamlessly generate the .pdf.  This is reason I thought it would be great to pre-populate the contents of a purchase order to some other document that has a predictable content.

Yes , I agree the Docusign could be useful enhancements. 

Badge +7

OK Daniel,

Now I get the picture better:

- generate a final order document for instance, from various items / forms created from a few workflow steps / approval steps.

In that case look into having a custom list where your workflow would create an item for each step that will increment the final document, with a unique reference in al of them to show that they are actually from the same parent item. Then finally when somebody approves the last step (say "ready to compile order") the workflow action "Nintex document generator" will be used by gathering all data form the "child list" and sending it to Excel/word.. for making the doc.

Badge +9

Hi Francois,

I can see when I the scenario you describe might be useful.  Now I am back from my travels, I want to get this state machine signed off which covers how certain documents get approved by multiple parties. In which case, I don't see how the Document Generation Action will be useful.  Essentially, I simple want to the finally approved document to be added to a Published Document Library in .pdf format without any manual configuration.  If I can't do this then I will ensure the the Published Document Library is set to Read Permission for general users. For this organisation, digital signing would not be required.

Badge +7

cool,

feel free to post result when you get some, so that we can all contribute.