Document generation of a repeating section within a repeating section

• 13 March 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

We have a form that is a candidate for multiple/nested repeating fields, as it looks like this:

200787_pastedImage_1.png

It has been requested that I find a way to have this be a generated document. We have Nintex Forms and Workflow for 365, and I found a similar use case:

Diving a little deeper into Document Generation

But when I look at the XML I get from these nested sections, this is what I have:

reportTopic1discussion1<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<RepeaterData><Version /><Items><Item><ActionItem type="System.String">actionItem 1.1</ActionItem><PersonsResponsible type="System.String">people 1.1</PersonsResponsible><Deadline type="System.String">deadline 1.1</Deadline><Status type="System.String">On Hold</Status></Item><Item><ActionItem type="System.String">actionItem 1.2</ActionItem><PersonsResponsible type="System.String">people 1.2</PersonsResponsible><Deadline type="System.String">people 1.2</Deadline><Status type="System.String">Open</Status></Item></Items></RepeaterData>

1. reportTopic1discussion1
  2. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><RepeaterData>  
  3. <Version />  
  4. <Items>  
  5. <Item>  
  6. <ActionItem type="System.String">actionItem 1.1</ActionItem>
  7. <PersonsResponsible type="System.String">people 1.1</PersonsResponsible>
  8. <Deadline type="System.String">deadline 1.1</Deadline>
  9. <Status type="System.String">On Hold</Status>
  10. </Item>  
  11. </Items>  
  12. </RepeaterData>  

So, how can I grab the things that start kind of before the XML (which is the "parent" Repeating Section)? Or is there a better way to do this that I'm missing?

I configured the parent repeating section to be the one that points to the plaintext multi-line field, and then could not do so with the nested one.

Parent:

200795_pastedImage_4.png

Child:

200796_pastedImage_5.png

I can't configure the child to be connected regardless of whether or not the parent is either, as I did check.

2 replies

Badge

Hi,

How do you do that

Badge +7

Doesn't look as this was ever anwsered for you.

You cannot connect a control in a repeating section to a SP List Column. It is best to store the full XML in a list column and then in the workflow You need to query XML, and loop through the XML to get the different rows of data.