Solved

DocuSign example workflow

• 28 December 2017
  • 10 replies

Badge +1

Does anyone know if there is an example (or be willing to share) a workflow with the DocuSign Populate Template?  I am new to the product and wanted to look at something really basic where the workflow would just populate to DocuSign as in a workflow that would have one approver?  Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Chris_Ben 16 January 2018, 06:26

View original

10 replies

Badge +5

Hi Andrew Czerlinsky‌,

Try have a look on link below.

DocuSign Demo Video 

Does this match what you are looking for?

Badge +1

Well it sort of does but it doesn’t tell or show anything about how the workflow component was setup. Is there anything for that part? Things like assigning the variables and populating the DocuSign template? This just shows how someone would use it once it was all setup.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Andrew,

I've quickly created an example for you.  Please excuse the brevity as a result.  However I have a feeling from all the screenshots I've just made, this post won't be brief!  In this example I'll set up a basic list to take someone's name, email, a document title and an arbitrary date:

Now go and create your DocuSign template.  Upload your template document, give it a name (in this example "Sample Template") and create a role.  In this example I've called the role "Recipient".  Leave the name and email blank as your workflow will eventually populate this.

Mark up your document as you usually would in DocuSign but for each field that you want populated by the workflow, you must give it a Data label.  You'll see in my example below I've used the label "DocumentTitle" for the field that will contain the title.

OK, now let's go and create the workflow.  You only need 3 actions to get this working although I used a parallel action to make it more readable:

What you have to do is create two dictionary variables.  One will store the field name and the other will store the field values.  The field names are the data label names you saved in DocuSign.  I've highlighted the DocumentTitle one by way of example.

Populating the Field Names Dictionary Variable

Populating the Field Values.  Make sure they're the same order as you have listed the field names!

Now let's look at the DocuSign Populate Template action.  Most of the fields are self-explanatory but pay attention to these ones:

• Template name - the exact name you used when creating the DocuSign template
  • Recipient role - the name of the role you created in DS
  • Field names - the field name dictionary variable you created
  • Field values - the values dictionary variable you created

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Chris

#docusign

Thanks Chris

Could you please help me here, as I need to do a docusign template which will populate the metadata from sharepoint to docusign template?
We are using On-Prem version, which has the collection operation variable?
But I couldn't find how to configure this as I'm missing keys and Types in this and don't know what goes under target collection and other options such as add/remove/etc.
This template in docusign will be quite extensive with around 30-40 columns filling in from sharepoint list with different types (i.e. datetime, Person, text fields, etc.)
How many collection variable do I need?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Rehan,

For on-prem it's very similar.  Just use the collection variables you've identified instead of the dictionary variables.  One collection variable will hold the list of field name the second one will hold the corresponding values.  The dictionary had an index to identify each element (0), (1) etc.  You don't need this - just the actual labels/values.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris,

So how do I configure the action?

What goes in target collection, Index (I believe I dont need this?), Value (Created By, Manager Name, Status?).

Where do I put the field names?

Collection Variable

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yep.  So remember to create two collections.  In the first collection (call it field names) use the Collection operation | Add and all a field name, repeat as many times as you have field names.  You don't need an index.  e.g. the first collection operation would be:

• Target Collection: Field Names
  • Add
  • Index (leave blank)
  • Value: whatever the first field name is

Then repeat for the second collection (call it field values) except this time your value will be the value of the field e.g. created by, manager name).

Cheers,

Chris

Make sense now, one collection variable for field labels (e.g. Name) and one for values (e.g. First Name).

Thanks very much, I will try now and let you know how I go.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Good stuff

Hi Chris,

Thanks again, looks very promising so far.

Quick questions:

1. Do I need each collection operation for each field, e.g. if I have 10 fields do I need 10 collection variable for name and 10 for values?

2. I'm trying to multi-sign the docusign, so one I have the first signature I can save as pdf with signature. Now I need to send the signed pdf to another recipient to sign. As the second user needs to see the sign and notes of first before they sign. I had a solution with doc gen template with signature and saving as pdf and again sending pdf to sign, but the requirement is to use docusign template for better ui and ease. Any suggestion?