Solved

Copy attachment from list to another list

• 9 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi All, 

I know this isn't possible to copy an attachment from one list to another. The workaround that i've seen is to grab the attachment from the list and dump it into a temp doc library.

My scenario is that we have a Nintex live form, where users fill out the form and add attachments to it, this data is stored on its own list. Then i have a workflow which runs and copies "creates item" in an internal list. This is working but i'm having issues getting the attachments from the temp doc library onto the internal list. 

How can i accomplish this? 

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by adamtobia5 12 July 2018, 23:58

View original

4 replies

Badge +5

Hi Jesse,

Is this similar to what you are trying to achieve?

How a copy list Item attachments to a folder 

But instead of a folder, it would be the root of a library?

Badge +3

Hi Adam, 

Thanks for your reply. Even though this works to get the attachments form a list to a doc library, but it doesn't seem to work to another list. I read somewhere that i'll need to get the attachments and dump them in a doc library and then do something else to get them from that library onto the destination list, but i can't find the steps for it. 

Badge +5

Hi Jesse,

You might experience an object reference error if trying to configure taking an attachment of a list item from source url "List A" to destination url "List B". Which you probably tried? Therefore, you might have to go from "List A" to "Document Library 1" and then to "List B".

The Document Library 1 is just a temporary/staging library to go from Source List to Destination List.

You will need to create two workflows:

1. One list workflow published in List A to take the attachment of a list item to be uploaded to Document Library 1. 
  2. Second list workflow published in Document Library 1 to take the document/file to be attached to a list item in List B

The first workflow would use the "Copy to SharePoint" workflow action.  When you configure the workflow action, specify the destination library. Click Save. When you have completed this, save and publish the workflow.

While the second workflow, would use a "Call Web Service" workflow action. When you configure the workflow action, the URL would be; http://servername/sitename/_vti_bin/lists.asmx and the web method to call would be AddAttachment. You will need to populate the XML Schema of this web service. In the XML Schema, xml element of <m:attachment></m:attachment>, populating using [FileData]. Click Save. When you have completed this, save and publish the workflow.

Badge +10

Hi Adam,

How do I ensure that the attachement is added to the right item within List B?

Cheers

mai-kel