Solved

Cascading dropdown filtering with fn-contains

• 30 July 2019
  • 2 replies

I am trying to setup a cascading dropdown where the filtering is accomplished using the fn-contains option.

The lists involved are Countrys and Holidays.     Countrys is a list of countries, 1 item per country.   Holidays is a list of Holidays.  Each holiday is listed a single time and has an associated column containing the countries it is celebrated in.  This column can contain multiple countries.

In the Holiday list are 2 columns containing the country information.   One is a multi-select column and the other is a text column that is populated with the values from the multi-select column via a workflow.

What I need to happen:

User selects Country from the Country dropdown.   The Holiday dropdown should then only display the Holidays that are celebrated in that country.

I was hoping to use the fn-contains formula to do this, but can't seem to make it work.

icon

Best answer by SimonMuntz 31 July 2019, 05:19

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi,

I was able to acheive this solution without using the contains function.

I created a list named Holidays and listed some events.

Then created a list named Countries and added some data. It contains the events and which countries celebrate that event.

On a third list I created a form.

The form has a choice control with all the countries listed.

The lookup is then filtered based off of this control.  There was no need to have a contains function as it just worked.

Selecting a country will give you a list of events.

The only issue is that two county lists will need to maintained.  One on the list and one on the Lookup Control

I have attached my list templates and form in case you need it.

Thank you.  I had tried that and it wasn't working.  Turned out that the issue was the name of the column.  In Infopath if the title field in your sharepoint list was renamed to something else, you frequently had to use 'Title' rather than the 'friendly' name you had given it.    I was doing that rather than using the name I gave it.

Once I changed the name, it worked beautifully.