Autopopulate people picker when form is in Edit mode?

• 23 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello!

My form has multiple stages. Brief description is as follows:

1. Requestor fills form and submits to Approver

2. Approver sees previous information from Requestor, then fills in more fields that was previously unavailable to the Requestor

In the Approver section, I included a People Picker control, titled Name of Approver, to default to the Current User. It seems that the field will not default while in Edit mode. I tried to change the SharePoint column to a single line text field to try a Set Value rule and that did not work either. A second solution I tried was to make the People Picker into a Calculated Value with Formula set to Current User that recalculates on Edit mode. This fills out the Calculated Field correctly. However, when the Approver attempts to submit, there is an error:

"Please address the following:

• Invalid text value. A text field contains invalid data. Please check the value and try again."

Does anyone have a solution to this issue? This thread describes the issue - https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-Office-365-Forum/set-a-field-with-current-user-email-id-when-in-edit-mode/m-p/112823#M13272

I need to use a Responsive layout and can not use a New Responsive for this solution.

Thank you

3 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi ,

I am assuming in your solution your are implementing approval on the form.

I would recommend using Nintex task form with workflow "Assign Task" action, with the task form Approver can see initial information by connecting Task forms to list fields.

Additional information can be added by approver on the task form by allowing additional fields to be editable on the task form, you can use rules to hide or disable fields if needed. This can be implemented at each approval stage.

This way the implementations is easy and robust and gives same user experience

Let me know if you have questions

Ashish

hi @ghaiashish

Unfortunately, the solution I'm working on will not be using an 'Assign Task' action in the workflow. Instead, I will be displaying panels on the form based on the SharePoint group and sending emails once it is their turn to view and input information on the form.

Essentially, there is one panel at the top that is visible to everyone. Once that panel is submitted, it will send and email to the next group and display more fields. My trouble is, the people picker field will not default to the new user.
Userlevel 2

Thanks for your response ,I understand you are using responsive form,  please try following rule:

1. "OriginatorResponsible" can be person or group you need to configure people picker to allow groups in case of groups

2. The rule is based on 'form controls' and not SharePoint column

3. Use current user from 'context'

5. You can use any condition that suits your process - with above rule you need to fill the first group and it will change users/groups automatically as you move through the process

Regards,
Ashish