URGENT - Deploy to Development, Form now doesn't work on PRODUCTION!

• 6 August 2008
  • 2 replies

Badge +9

I have run into a problem which has stopped all forms from opening on my production system for a particular process.

This process is triggered by a document being uploaded to a MOSS document library, and then uses an InfoPath web form to collect information from the various users.

I needed to track down a bug in the process that has been deployed to production, and so I have done the following steps:

·       I downloaded the code for the process from production to ensure that I had the latest version of the code.

·       I deployed the process to DEVELOPMENT to ensure that I had the latest version in development, and so that I could debug it.
(see screenshot of versions below – just to confirm that I haven’t accidentally deployed to the wrong system...)

·       I initiated a process in development so that I could start debugging.
When I went to open the first form to complete the task that is assigned to me, the form won’t open. If I look at the XML of the form, I see that it is trying to use the form template that is published to the PRODUCTION server, instead of the development server, so Forms services won’t allow this – the xml has the tag below which defines where the template is stored – note that http://documentcentre is the production server
<?mso-infoPathSolution name="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:infopath:Specification-Approval-Forms:-myXSD-2008-06-30T09-38-19" solutionVersion="1.0.0.270" productVersion="12.0.0" PIVersion="1.0.0.0" href="http://documentcentre/specs/Specification Approval Forms/Forms/template_-myXSD-2008-06-30T09-38-19.xsn"?>

I now find that the form that this process uses in PRODUCTION is not working either – I believe that this is failing because it is looking for a data connection on the development server!

So it appears that when I have deployed the process to the DEVELOPMENT server, that the form has actually been deployed to PRODUCTION. This has the unfortunate affect of preventing the form from functioning in either environment. Obviously, I am most concerned about production at this stage.

A couple of questions:
How do I get my production environment form functioning again?
2. How did this occur, and how do I make changes to a process without it breaking the production version?

2 replies

Badge +5

By any chance, is there any SmartObject integration with the form?

I have seen cases where deploying a newer version of a process still looks like it is using the original forms, because the SmartObject is still pointing to the earlier version of the form

In those cases, it is necessary to open the Smart Object project, and rerun the wizard tha points to something related to the workflow, then redeploy the SmartObject.

Badge +9

Hi Gail,

Thanks very much for your reply - in this case I don't have any SmartObjects integrated with the form.

Thanks to Cobus, I have managed to sort this out. Basically I had to redeploy the same version to production, but before doing that I had to ensure that I had run th Infopath Integration wizard to make sure that the form was updated with the proper values.

So the lesson here is: If you have a process which uses an Infopath Web form, before deploying, you should do the following:
In Visual Studio, change the environment to the environment that you are going to deploy to
Run the InfoPath Integration Wizard, design your form, and close it without making any changes. Click Finish to complete the wizard. Apparently this ensures that the InfoPath form is updated correctly in the process.
You should then be able to deploy successfully to the selected environment without affecting the other environments.

There are still issues with datasources as described in this post: http://k2underground.com/forums/thread/24551.aspx

Thanks again for your reply - I appreciate you taking the time to assist me!