Solved

Adding action rule in nintex form

Badge +5

Hi,

In InfoPath I used to work with action rule to set field values. I started working with Nintex forms and I can only see Formatting and validation rules. is it a separate function in nintex. I am using trial version and I would think it is a full version and not standard.

is this feature available in nintex ?, if so can some one guide me ?

Regards

Kannan

icon

Best answer by shaunlub 3 February 2017, 01:56

View original

19 replies

Badge +6

What exactly are you trying to achieve? There are no action rules in Nintex Forms but I think there are probably alternative ways to implement the functionality you like to have ;-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Kannan Ahammed‌ - 

Are you saying, for example, "If field txtAnimal is equal to Horse, then set field txtAnimalClass to Mammal; if field txtAnimal is equal to Frog then set field txtAnimalClass to Amphibian"?

You can do this by creating a rule on the txtAnimalClass to say "if txtAnimal is Horse, then mammal". 

I am sure there are other ways to do this, let me know if this is on the right path though.

Cheers,

Rhia

Badge +5

Hi Rhina,

Assuming txtanimal class is a field in the list , and in nintex forms there are two rules for a field formatting and validation. Which one should I chose ? I thought formatting is for formatting the text and validation is for validating the text ? 

Regards

kannan

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

The most robust way of setting of field values is done by way of Javascript at the moment.  There was word that some sort of 'rules' like mechanism would be introduced in the product that would allow for the 'automated' setting of fields but it has yet to be fully introduced.   

Thanks,

Mike

Badge +5

With java script ? Can you show me an example ? Or tutorial?

regards 

kannan

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Here is what you'll need:  

That'll give you an idea of how to go about it, read the comments in that doc also as they have some examples.   I'd recommend being familiar with Javascript first though otherwise it can be a bit much.

Thanks,

Mike

Badge +6

Hey Kannan,

there's the possibility to use a "Calculated Value" control and use the runtime function "Lookup" to show values from a list based on another control in the form.

Does this maybe help you?

Best regards,

Jan

Badge +5

Thanks Mike. I will look into it.

Badge +5

Hi Jan,

If I understand it correct the calculated Value control helps to show the existing values with some calculations. what I was looking for is setting values after some item is changed.  For example if a request is rejected by HR I need to set the values of Line Manager and Director approval to reject.

Currently I am doing it via workflow using "Set field in current item" Action 

Best Regards

Kannan

Badge +11

You can use the Calculated Value control, using the IF runtime function, so that when the tested condition is true, it could lookup the names as necessary; if false to remain blank. These calculated values would be Connected to columns (like you would promote fields in InfoPath out to SharePoint) - so they can be used by workflows when the form is closed.

Badge +6

Hey Kannan,

do you have a list where you can store the line manager and director or from which source do you like to get the information?

Best regards,

Jan

Badge +5

Yes I have a people and groups list where I store line manager and directors info

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Badge +5

Oh that is nice I ll try that

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The only caveat with Calculated fields is that their values cannot be directly edited by the user (they rely on their underlying formula to set their values).

Badge +5

I found the above. I see many fields in "connected to " but not all. is it like this by design to store the store the correct database or something?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Connected to is the place to which you want to store a value, most often that being a field in the backing list.

Badge +5

Has there been any more word if Nintex will be adding this functionality?

Badge +11

It has been under review for nearly a year now. It would be helpful if you could add your feedback to help push this along..

https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/218293-4-nintex-forms-for-office-365/suggestions/7690713-set-field-values-with-rules   

Badge +5

I made a statement in the feedback. Thank you for the link.