Solved

Add "delegate" link to approval task

Badge +7

Hi,

How do your Office 365 users react when they want to change the ownership of a workflow task?

This out of the box feature of Nintex Workflow on premises is not available on Office 365, and I am quite surprised not to see anybody asking how to workaround it,

I can see that it is requested Task delegation is missing – Customer Feedback for Nintex

How do you all deal with delegation if a user cannot respond to a task ?

icon

Best answer by lpnolan 18 November 2016, 20:22

View original

7 replies

Badge +9

Hi, sorry no help as I haven't bothered looking into an alternative (hoping Nintex would have released this feature buy now.....)

What does manually reassigning the Task in the task list do? I'm guess it would just assign the task and not send email.

I also think in O365 anyone can approve a task if they have access to the task list, unlike on-prem which locks the task to the user assigned.

So essentially you could tell users to forwards on emails.

Badge +7

thank you

Warwick Ward wrote:

I also think in O365 anyone can approve a task if they have access to the task list, unlike on-prem which locks the task to the user assigned.

So essentially you could tell users to forwards on emails.

This is the issue: yes you could, but not in the case where you related item is secured and read only to the approvers. Then you would have to first add the delegated approver to the related item permission, which is quite unlikely done by the end user while delegating the task.

Badge +6

I agree with Thuan Nguyen, Delegation and Assign should be different, delegation still keeps the ownership for designated user and assign task forward the task and ownership to new user.

Badge +7

By now we all agreed that they have different concept, the initial question is still: how to delegate in Office 365 and so far, no real solution.

Badge +4

I have taken the following approach:

Within my approval workflow, I use Assign Task action.

Add a 'Delegate' as a Task Outcome. 

Edit the task form adding the People input field.  (Make required if TaskOutcome=='Delegate')

On the 'Delegate' branch, add logic that will "start" the process again.

With this Child workflow (Manager Review), updating the Status column let's the Parent workflow know how to proceed by setting the state accordingly.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.  I, too, have asked that this be a feature request.  Additionally, I am amazed that the 365 functionality does not set the permissions of the task to just those it is assigned to.  I had a workaround for that, too, that is somewhat more risky.  I'm still working out the kinks.

Badge +4

Even if the item has permissions set, the Task takes on the permissions of the List.  I have been able to prove this so I had created a workflow on the Workflow Task that would set the permissions of the task of 'Assigned To' to Contribute when the task was created.  It would update the permissions of the task to 'View Only' when Completed = Yes.  However, given the issue of task locking/RACE, that quickly proved too risky.

I just have another process that I monitor so that I manually set permissions at this time.  Hopefully, Nintex will have this feature included in the next release. (palms pressed!  )

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There is a nice tutorial here:   how to workaround delegation in O365