Action set with Elevated App Permission + Item does not exist error

• 16 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I have a workflow on a library that runs all actions inside an Action Set with elevated app permissions. The workflow contains a number of workflow actions to modify the item permissions to limit access to a number of SharePoint groups.

When a non-owner of the site, runs the workflow, the workflow eventually suspends with the following error after some of the permissions get set by those workflow actions:

"Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user."

If the workflow is terminated and restarted by an owner, it completes successfully.

Given that the workflow actions that are modifying the item's permissions are running inside the action set, why is the "Item does not exist" error occuring? The item is clearly there, and the elevated app permissions should have full access to it.

3 replies

Userlevel 2

I am assuming this could be a throttling issue, it might be the number of items done in the first run by non owner goes to certian the limit and the rest is done when owner resumes the workflow

1) Can you check how many items are done on each run before it suspends

2) Is it consistent number with each run

3) Can you test with query with less items may be less than 500

With action in the actionset running with elevated permissions I don't think it is an issue with the user not being the workflow owner

I can provide more comments if I know more details

Regards,

Ashish

PS: Can you please check if the site feature "Workflows can use app permissions" is turned on

Yes we have the Workflows can use app permissions feature enabled. I don't think this is a throttling issue. This workflow gets started maybe only once a day. I'm noticing that the workflow always suspends at the same place. There are 5 workflow actions in this workflow that set item permissions and assigns 5 different groups with "edit" access to the item.  It always fails on the 2nd workflow action to set item permissions.

The failure is consistently that the "item can't be found or may have been deleted".

When the workflow instance is initiated by an owner of the site it runs fine.

When the workflow instance is initiated by a member of the site it always fails.

All workflow actions in the workflow are inside an action set configured to use elevated app permissions.

Userlevel 2

This issue sounds a bit weird and is one of those that needs deeper investigation, it might be to do with the permission groups are set.

Is there a query list to capture IDs or is it current item permissions?

Are you using 5 "set permissions" actions to set permissions for 5 groups i.e. one per group?

It is difficult to find the cause in this scenario without knowing what the workflow is exactly doing

Regards