Changing Process design while a process is executing

• 19 October 2007
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +9

Hi All,

If I change the design of a process while the process is executing , then will it impact on the running as well as the active instances of the process ?

For Ex: let say there are 10 instances of a process in active state. They are waiting for a client event to complete. In the meanwhile, I will be changing the process design and re-export the process once again.

What will happen to the already active 10 instances?

Pls guide.

Thanks and Regards

4 replies

Badge +9
Each time a process definition is exported it is versioned within K2.  Each time a process instance is started it is bound to a process definition version for the lifetime of that instance.  Thus deploying new process definitions does not affect running instances.
Badge +9

Hi Bob,

Many a thanks for replying.

Does it mean that even if I delete any activity and re-export , then for all the running instances to complete , the activity has to be finished ?

Pls guide.

Thanks and Regards

Badge +9

Yes, because the running instances are still executing on the previous definition.  You re-export has absolutely no bearing on active instances.

Think of it this way...

Yesterday you exported process A for the first time, so it is version 1.  5 process instances started and are bound to version 1.  All 5 instances are at various points throughout the process (i.e. all are currently still active) when today you make a change to process A in K2 Studio and re-export.  Thus there is now a version 2 of Process A available for NEW process instances.  3 new instances are then started, which will use version 2.  Thus at this point you have:

- 5 instances on version 1

- 3 instances on version 2

Remember an instance does not change process definition versions.

Badge +9

Hi Bob,

Thanks again for replying.

It will be of immense help for me.

Thanks and Regards