Unable to update SharePoint Item Attachment

• 25 February 2021
  • 2 replies

The current capability that Nintex Workflow Cloud has it to update a SharePoint list item based on a field which it works great but when I try to add an attachment to an item I required the ID to be able to attach that document. When you create a new item you can pull the ID to attach the documents but if you are updating an item you do not get the ID your are updating.

Is there anyone out there that have a similar issue and came up with something, or is there something I'm missing or I don't know how to do?

Any help will be appreciated.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Topollillo 

if in the NWC workflow you are using a start event of SharePoint start event - update list item, then the start event - start variables will have the ID of the item.

If it is a Nintex form start event, then you could look at a couple of options.

Add a data lookup control on your start form that displays items from the sharepoint list so you have the user select the sharepoint item from the form. This should give you access the sharepoint list item ID.

Or secondly you will need to use a 'Query a list' action to find the item in the list you are after.

The output object will have the ID that you are after.

You will probable need to limit to 1 result item to return in the 'Query a list' action and may need a for each action to extract a single item ID from what would be a collection that is returned.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hey @Topollillo .

When you run the update item action the output is a collection of all the ID's (and URL's) that were updated as part of the update query, just put that in a loop and retrieve the ID from the current item object and pass that into add attachments. 

Cheers, Rick