Solved

Sign In/Sign Out Register using NWC & SharePoint

• 21 April 2020
  • 6 replies

In preparation for return to work at Level 3, we have developed a sign-in register for external visitors using their own devices (i.e. QR code scanning) which then opens a NWC form for them to sign in.  The form data is then saved to a SharePoint online list.  This works perfectly, but now I've been asked for additional capability for the external user to be able to sign out when they leave our sites and I'm not sure how to achieve this given that the form data is saved in SharePoint, which external users can't access (via their own devices) to then update the form and sign out.  Help please! I'm very new to NWC so any help appreciated :-) Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Gavin-Adams 22 April 2020, 03:22

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

If you have the external user enter their email address on the sign out form,

then use the new data lookup control with a data source / data connection to retrive the sharepoint list item using the email address as a where filter on the data lookup.

Other than email you might have a registration code, or some other identifier.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I think I understand what you mean.  So I need to create a separate sign-out form which the user is redirected to after submitting the sign-in form?

The user then needs to enter their email address again on the sign-out form and then follow your instructions from there using the data lookup control to retrieve the SP list item I want to update with a sign-out date/time?

Thanks,

Linda

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Linda,

you could try a solution with using a query string parameter.

You might still need two forms, a sign in and a sign out.

(or try with one form but with two pages: a sign in and a sign out page and more complex rules logic in the form and conditional logic in the workflow

Updated: doesnt look like I can use pages, use groups instead where visibility can be set by a rule)

The assumption is that after the sign in the external person is sent an email with a sign out link and uses that link to do the sign out.

After the sharepoint list item is generated in your sign in workflow, you will have a unique ID.

I would probably want to generate a guid or use the workflow instance ID as the identifier, that way the sign out URL is not predictable.

This ID could be saved into a new column in your sharepoint list for query later on.

Check out the first step by step example to see how you can access a query string:

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nwc/Content/Designer/FormsRules.htm

Once the sign out form is submitted you can use the variable to query for the sharepoint list item and then update it.

You could still potentially use the new data lookup control on the form for the external user to confirm their sign in time.

Thanks so much for your help - your suggestion got me on the right track and it's working now! :smileyvery-happy:

Userlevel 4
Badge +12
Thanks Lindi.
Its a great idea, so I've grabbed it and made a demo out of it in our environment.
Cheers for the idea 🙂

Hi Gavin,

I'm struggling with a Data Lookup on my NWC form now.  I have a data lookup field for ''Site'' and in the configuration of the data source I have added both the ''Site'' field and also a "Manager Email" field which I want to use to send an email in my workflow. How do I get the Manager Email field into a Variable so I can use it for the email?

Linda