Solved

SharePoint Online - Create an item - person column can't set a value

• 7 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

I'm having problems in NWC with the SharePoint online - create an item action when I try to set a value for a person column.

I've created a NWC form with anonymous access. The scenario is an org with lots of casual and contract staff who do not have corporate user accounts, they will select a managers email from a data lookup control.

I have a data connection to Azure Active Directory as the source for a 'Manager' data lookup control on the form.

This return the email address for the user from Azure AD.

I added a SharePoint Online create an item action.

This is configured against a list in a SharePoint online site.

This list has a person type column called manager.

When I try to insert a value against the person field all the start event options are greyed out.

Next step I thought was to add an action 'SharePoint Online - Query User Profile'. This takes the email from the form and will put the user details into an object variable.

However when I go back to the create an item and select the new 'ManagerObject' there are no fields that are suitable to insert.

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nwc/Content/Designer/Actions/SharePointOnline-CreateanItem.htm

Looking at the help file it shows integer type for person field.

So I'm guessing that is the ID of the person from the hidden user list in SharePoint site collection root. I cant find anyway to get to that integer though.

Any thoughts on how to take a validated user email/UPN from a Azure AD data source and put it into a SharePoint list person field?

Thanks

Gavin

icon

Best answer by leighburke 8 October 2020, 23:52

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Gavin-Adams Currently the person field is looking for an ID, so if that user is already exists in a person column on a list, then you could query that list and get the ID.

The other option would be putting it into a text field and then using an update item action inside of o365 to set the person field. I have also raised this internally for you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Thanks @leighburke 

I've gone with option B and have a 'manager email' text column populated with the NWC workflow.

I've then used an 'update list item' action in a Office 365 workflow to set the person column.

Cheers,

Gavin

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Gavin-Adams We are just planning an update to the relevant actions to support updating person columns using an email address and will also support multiple users if configured on the list. This shouldn't be to far away so keep an eye out in the release notes and will aim to also update this topic.. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12
Thanks Rick
Great to hear
Userlevel 3
Badge +8
If the column is configured for multi values both display name and email address will now work, single values should be coming in the next release but keep eye on release notes.