Changing Nintex Content DB Permissions

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

While working on some powershell scripts to automate site setup and to associate a nintex db with a sharepoint site I didn't always get it right. Now I'm looking at some Nintex content databases that have me as the dbo which it should be a service account. Or does not have my Farm Admin account as a user at all. I now create these sites logged in under my SharePoint configuration account exclusively.

The reason I need to do this is that we are upgrading the version of Nintex workflow to a more recent one and when upgrading the Database via central administration I received an error on one of the databases that did not have the Config Account in the DBO role (the account I was doing this work under). When I checked the ULS log it said:

'Cannot find the object 'DeleteWorkflows', because it does not exist or you do not have permission'

I ended up running the nwadmin command to updatedatabases but I would like to avoid the error as we have some odd breaks in our processes after upgrading and I'd like to rule out the upgrade process.

The way the Nintex_Content DB is now being setup is as follows:

My Farm Account is a user with membership in the WSS_Content_Application_Pool role

My Config Account is the dbo and is in the db_owner role.

On The SharePoint side its' pretty much the same except that the Farm Account has membership in the dbo_owner and the SPDataAccess roles

I'd like to correct the user and role membership of the Nintex databases. For instance, on one DB the Farm Admin account is in the db_owner role and the Config Account is not a user at all. The site is working but its not consistent.

I'm not sure what the Best practice is for changing these accounts in the Nintex DB and if I would also have to make a parallel change in the SharePoint DB to accomodate any changes made to the Nintex DBs.

Any guidance on this is much appreciated!

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I spoke with a Nintex Tech on the phone this morning and he said he would have to check but thought it would be the same as SharePoint. Can someone from Nintex give a definitive response to what we should find in our Security --> Users folder on SQL for theĀ  Nintex Content Databases. Assume that these were setup while logged in as the SharePoint Config Account (not the farm admin but the one MS recommends having).

Thank you

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

A good place to find the information on Accounts used is on pages 13 - 14 of the Nintex Workflow 2013 Install Guide. Since Nintex reps are silent on the issue I guess this will have to suffice.