Sending an email notification prior to the list due-date

• 31 August 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Nintex and I'm currently trying to get the following solution going:

A SharePoint list contains certain users, issues and a due date.

I want to design a workflow, which runs daily and checks if a due date for one of the issues is approaching.

If there is an entry in the list which due date is in 3 days, the workflow has to send an email notification to that specific user.

So I would schedule the workflow to run once a day and check the due dates.

This is what I have so far, but it does not seem to work.

The solutions I have found only we're mostly for sharepoint tasks and usually more complex than mine.

It would be great if one of you could pinpoint me into the right direction.

Thanks!

7 replies

Badge +16

have you seen my example here?

what are the parallel actions for?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Daniel Abraham‌ - 

Cassy Freeman‌'s example is a good one to follow, I would recommend that you take a look if you can.

I would approach it similar to what you have already, but you need to add a few more actions. First, make sure you are getting the due date from your list, you'll need it to compare to [Today] + 3. Once you have that, simply use a Run If.

It will look something like this:

207218_pastedImage_2.png

Things to keep in mind:

1. This is a SITE WORKLFOW, not a list workflow

2. Date comparisons can be tricky due to the time piece

Hope this helps!

Badge +1

Hey Cassy,

thanks for the reply. I had a look at your example at it seems very similiar to mine. I also checked the workflow-history to see which parts of the workflow does not run properly. It seems like the "For-each"-block does not even start.

This is how its configured:

207349_pastedImage_1.png

AssignedColl is the Collection for the row which contains the person who is supposed to receive the email. AssignedTo is the single variable.

They get queried like this:

207351_pastedImage_1.png

CurrentDate is a variable which is previously set to date when the workflow is executed.

Does anything there strike you as problematic?

The parallel actions are there to fetch the single values I want to include in the email out of the collections.

Thanks!

Badge +16

doesn't look problematic.

chuck a log to history list action in before the for each and just log "AssignedColl" and check there are items in the collection?

Badge +1

It works! The problem was a wrong column got loaded into the collection. Thank you so much for your time!

Badge +16

no worries - sometimes you just need to talk it out to realise what has gone wrong...  happens to all of us (me more so than others haha).  Please make correct an answer to close the thread.

Badge +2
what is the link for your solution - I have a similar issue, except I'm using Pause until v6monthreminder date. Should I not be using that? Currently, my wf sends all notifications at the same time up to the days out Ex. If its 45 days out the use gets 6 notificaitons (180,150,120,90,60 and 45-day reminder to the user) vs just the 1. :(