Can I limit the number of workflows in a day

• 11 December 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +9

Sometimes for whatever reason (perhaps an issue not found or thought of when developing such as someone inputting a date of 01/01/1900) numerous workflows get created for a particular list.

Is there a way to limit the number of workflows that can be triggered for a list for a day such as 50.  Thus, if more than 50 workflows get created for a list then the 51st workflows and subsequent workflows would not run.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I don't think that's possible.

what you can do is to set up workflow to start just when some condition(s) are met. so eg. start it only when date != 01/01/1900

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I would approach it like ‌ mentioned and setup your start condition to only kick off on "correct" items.

Not sure how well it would work (and I would probably steer away from this, but hey, why not...), but you could create a "watcher list" and each time the workflow kicked off it checks the "watcher list" to see if a column (let's call it "numberOfRunsToday") is <= 50 and if so, execute, if not, terminate. Then increment "numberOfRunsToday" by 1. You would also need to create a site workflow to reset the value of "numberOfRunsToday" back to 0 each morning, or do it manually (yuck).

Again, I have not tested that theory, but it would work, just not sure you want to manage that much extra when cleaning up your start conditions and some user training may resolve it.

Hope this helps!