Solved

Retrieve an item and Query a list action - Doesn't support Insert variables

• 28 August 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,

My requirement is I have to query a SharePoint online list and retrieve an  item . The site URL is dynamic and will change based on user's input collected in Nintex form.

when  I try to configure the new "Query a list " action , I can see an Insert variable option available for site URL but if we insert a variable the output object is not returning the properties. The same is happening for "Retrieve an item" action. 

In the release notes it is mentioned that " Inserting variables to the SharePoint Online site URL and List name fields are not supported."  . I wonder then why the insert option is provided for these actions.

Please let me know if I am missing anything or is there a way I can pass the URL dynamically for both the actions.

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards,

Meena R

icon

Best answer by rickdemarco 13 November 2020, 06:22

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@Meena currently with the SPO actions you do need to start your configuration with hardcoded values, and then once it is configured you can replace the values with variables instead. We are evaluating how to improve that experience for end users within the designer for those actions.

cc @rickdemarco 

Hi @butlerj,

Thank you for the response . The configuration works well with "Create an item" but if I follow the same steps that is first configure with hardcoded URL and then replace the values with variables are not working for "Retrieve an item" . The output object becomes invalid and I am not able to get the values for properties and assign it to a variable.

Please let me know if I missed anything .

Thanks,
Meena R
Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@rickdemarco any thoughts on this? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Yes, using variables on these two actions is not currently supported due to the dynamic nature of the output. We aim to support this in the future