Repeating Sections and Document Generation

Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to Nintex and am attempting to create workflows for an employment application process that we intend to demo to a potential client. In the form, I use repeating sections for data related to employment, education, etc. What I am ultimately attempting to do is populate the information from the repeating sections into table format using the DocGen action. I understand repeating sections are collections in NWC and I can loop through the collection, but I still have no way of using this when placing tags in my template. I have also tried using the Create a text string action to at least get the information from the repeating section into a text variable, but am not sure how I create a new line in the action. Any help is appreciated!

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello,

Currently the repeating sections for NWC is a very new feature, We are working on releasing the document generation support for NWC Objects (which includes repeating section data) however we weren't able to release that capability yet. 

@EuanGamble Euan are you able to advise? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Jake Let me check who can assist with this.

@Jake I appreciate the info. Is there an approximate timeline on the release of this functionality?

@EuanGamble Thank you for looking into this!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @CTCFL,

I believe there was a hotfix deployed to address this issue. Can you please confirm if this now works?

Thanks,

Euan

Hi @EuanGamble , 

This feature still doesn't appear to be released. I just gave it a try and there are no options to tag 'collections' (or multi valued) data. Do you know when this is expected to be released? It's a showstopper for us.

cheers

Grant

@EuanGamble Any updates on this?

Having trouble getting repeating sections into document generations as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

As far as I can tell, repeating section data isn't treated like an object, it appears as a collection.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I don't know how much it will help, but I wrote about how to get the data out of a repeating section here. It's definitely a workaround but might be a solution for you if you are only capturing 1-2 fields per section.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @tctctc,

The ability to create a table from Collection variables is coming soon! The dev team will be picking this feature up next, with an expected Q2CY2021 delivery.

The high level plan is to enhance the existing Generate Document action, where the Document Tagger will offer Repeating row tags and allow Collection variable tags to be copied. We'll be sure to create documentation with clear steps of how templates must be configured.

I will endeavour to update this thread when we are nearer to launch. Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

Thanks,

Kate

@kate 

That's awesome news! Thank you for the update.

Badge +3

I managed to get this working, but it's not exactly straightforward.

I started by creating a textarea (A) within each repeating section, which would be populated with a character delimited list of each answer of that instance. Create another textarea (B) which is populated with a delimited list of all iterations of (A), but be sure to use a different delimiting character - for example: 

A) answer1a|answer2a|answer3a ~
A) answer1b|answer2b|answer3b ~
B) answer1a|answer2a|answer3a ~answer1b|answer2b|answer3b ~

Inject (B) into a cell into an individual cell in an Excel sheet. 

Use Excel formulae to firstly cut (B) into individual rows using something like this:
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE($B$4," ~",REPT(" ",LEN($B$4))),($A5-1)*LEN($B$4)+1,LEN($B$4)))

Then use Excel formulae to cut each row into individual answers:
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE($B5,"|",REPT(" ",LEN($B5))),(C$4-1)*LEN($B5)+1,LEN($B5)))

This will create a fully populated table from just one, delimited string. You can then hide the workings by making the text white, or the columns/rows small.

Finally, use this file as a template and add to a larger PDF if required, using Document Generation.

Hope this helps!