Solved

Nintec Cloud Document Generation

• 8 March 2021
  • 5 replies

hi, just new to the product and trying to figure a couple of problems out.  One issue is that i can seem to work out how to do document generation without the option of using of a connector.  according to the help instructions, you set a connector and use the template from there, however when i configure the document generator the connector option doesnt appear.  I have read one other forum post that talks about using variables but unsure how this would work.  Are there any suggestions?  Just looking to create a pdf using form entries, had it working when i trialed the software last year but now it doesnt appear to be working so not sure if there is a new way to do it.  all help would be gratefully received.

cheers

thomas 

icon

Best answer by butlerj 9 March 2021, 21:03

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@thomaslarkin the reason that it is asking for a connector is that the DocGen action needs to know where to get your template document from. To use the Generate Document action you need to have a template document that has been tagged with the variable values that you would like to populate with the data from your form / workflow, and that template document needs to be hosted somewhere that NWC can access. 

While the output (the pdf) can then be stored as a variable within the Nintex Workflow Cloud instance and sent somewhere, the input (template document) needs to already be hosted somewhere the workflow can find.

We have a setup walkthrough video here for the action if you'd like to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPzYDmIwdOY&t=11s&ab_channel=Nintex

hi @butlerj i totally understand that, makes sense.  However, when i try to use the document generation i dont get the option to use a connector to point it to the template.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@thomaslarkin oh interesting. What region is your tenant in? I'm wondering if there's a bug with the action in the tenants that are running the new version of the engine.

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@thomaslarkin I've discovered that this is due to a change in how the new engine interacts with the Document Generation system. You will need to use a 'Get a File' action from your SaaS vendor of choice to pull in the template document and then you can reference that file within the Generate Document action. For example:

awesome, thanks @butlerj  i will give that a go now