Solved

Intermittent files losing file extension between Form upload and Box movefile

• 20 March 2020
  • 8 replies

I have a WFC WF that contains a form where a user can upload a .docx or .zip file which is used within the WF.   The uploaded file is copied to a box folder for long-term storage, and then a link to that file is added to another form accessed by an 'approver' later in the workflow. 

This process has been working properly for about 4 months.   About 4-5 weeks ago I began getting reports of people not being able to access the link on the approval form.   After investigating further I realized that the file extension was getting dropped somewhere within the workflow.  Since the document had no file extension, the user's desktop didnt know how to open it.   Renaming the file with .zip or .docx restores the functionality. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve or even troubleshoot this issue?  I am not interacting with the filename at all within the WF, the first time that the file is referenced is in the Box store a file method, and the file variable is selected from the dropdown, there isnt even a way to modify it if I wanted to. 

Thanks for any ideas.

icon

Best answer by butlerj 6 April 2020, 16:35

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@Ken_T I have a test setup to try and replicate this, but out of curiosity are there any other processes/users that might interact with the file before the approval is executed? Just trying to make sure I have my replication correct.

Good morning Ben, 

Thanks for taking a look.   The WF starts with an NWC form which contains the file upload.  There are no actions that touch the file until later in the WF when the document is stored in a temp working folder. (Screenshots for both steps below). 

There is a branch that takes place that can allow the user to upload a different document if the first is rejected, but I have confirmed on several cases that when the issue occurs, its is on the primary branch (doc accepted), so I dont believe tha the secondary branch is related. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@Ken_T it looks like the bug that we spoke about has been fixed in the most recent deployment of NWC. Can you keep an eye out and let us know if this issue surfaces again now that this has been pushed to production?

Thanks for the update - I'll certainly let you know.
Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@Ken_T wanted to check back with you and see if you've seen another instance of this issue since the update to NWC?

Hope you're doing well!

We have not, it looks like this took care of it.   Thanks!

@butlerj Unfortunately it looks like we declared victory too soon.  I've had 2 more examples this week of this issue occurring.   Any guidance you can provide?

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@Ken_T at this point I think we'll need to pull in Support to do a deeper investigation into the issue for you. I've opened a support case for you, and if you can provide the Workflow Instance IDs as a comment on the case within your Customer Central instance that should help the support team start their investigation of the issue.