Solved

How to capture when a sharepoint "create an item" returns an error - duplicate

• 15 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello, I am just creating my first form using the Nintex Workflow Cloud. This is a simple form which creates an item on a Sharepoint list every time it is submitted. I don't want to have duplicates, so one of the columns on my Sharepoint list only accepts a unique value. I need to find a way to know when the "create an item" fails (because it is a duplicate) , so i can send the user to an error page.

How can i accomplish that? Thank you.

icon

Best answer by CMB-Abovet 15 September 2020, 20:54

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@CMB-Abovet ,

Until it's not possible to check it from the form itself,

I would recommend to check from the workflow for an existing item with the same field value first, and then, if only it does not exist, create the item. Avoid the error happening as a best practice.  

You can also create your own Xtensions to create the item and get errors responses. But It's not a handling exceptions best practice. Exceptions should not be used for logic. 

Keep in mind that if you use Nintex Forms for Office 365, it's managed. You stay on the form and are prompted with a message as shown below :

The question maybe, should I use Nintex for Office 365 for that specific reason ? This could be changed faster. 

My2cents

^^

Thank you Cecilia for your answer.  I will go ahead and apply your first suggestion! 

This form needs to be available for the public , so I believe i cannot use Nintex Forms for Office 365. Isn't that correct?

Thank you,

AB

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@CMB-Abovet

That's correct. Public forms is only possible with Nintex Workflow Cloud.

With Office 365, you can authorize external users, but the form SharePoint or Nintex is still not anonymous and you are authenticated.

^^