How to determine if a Case# (single line of text) has already been used - workflow

Badge +1

I have a library where the user has a Case# they do not want duplicated. There are already 4,000+ entries and they have already been utilizing 'ID' in their library. The issue is when an entry is created a Case# gets reused and we want to eliminate these issues. We would like to create a workflow to allow the user creating an entry the Case# has already been used via an alert or popup or something. However, since I am new to nintex I am trying to figure out where to even begin.

I have looked at using 'Set A Condition' or 'Run If'..... my thinking is...

'If (Case#) is already in use send message to user advising the Case# is not available.'

I believe I may have to have the field queried against what the user enters to ensure the #'s are not identical. I may even have to add some JavaScript or Jquery for the message.

Please if you know how to do this or if you can point me in the right direction, that would be VERY helpful.

TIA

2 replies

Badge +17

In SharePoint you can force a field to be unique, this can prevent duplicates. 

Secondly, I wouldn't have users selecting o entering case numbers into the form. Automatically populate it from a counter and this eliminates that issue.

Badge +1
Thanks! That sounds like a better solution than the one that was going through my mind! Just a little clean up on our end and we will enable the field to be unique.