cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david_heaps
Nintex Newbie

Form variable for building a running total in NWC

Jump to solution

I have a form that looks for responses to about 30 questions. Each question has a yes/no toggle. When the toggle is 'no' a drop-down appears (and is required) for the user to select 1, 2 or 3. This is controlled by a rule, with one rule for each question.

I am looking to capture the highest score applied as the user proceeds through the form. I have created a form variable (integer) and set '0' as the default value.

What I'd like to do is convert the selected score to a number, then test if it is > the value of the running score. If that test is true, then I set the running score to that value. If it is false, then the running score remains at the highest score previously logged. I can't find a way within the rule to adjust the value of my running score - am I missing something? 

Would be grateful for any suggestions, I'd like this cumulative score to be visible to the user before the form is submitted.

Thanks everyone.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JosephRosenfeld
Nintex Newbie

Re: Form variable for building a running total in NWC

Jump to solution

Just to clarify if a user inputs 1 on the first choice you want the running score to be 1. Then if the user inputs 2 on the second choice you want the running score to be 2 correct? because 2 >1. And so on and so forth if the user selects 3 for an answer on a subsequent choice control.

0 Kudos
david_heaps
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution
That is indeed correct, Joseph.

I am thinking I need to set a hidden field value with the variable and then re-set the variable value - which is currently defined as text because it's selected from a drop-down. So along the way I am anticipating there needs to be a convert to a number function. Just scratching my head how to do this before the form is submitted (if it were after, I know how to make the workflow do this).

Thanks
0 Kudos
eiben
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Well, you could create a form variable with a formula like this:

max(convertToNumber([Form].[Choice  single 1]),convertToNumber([Form].[Choice  single 2]),convertToNumber([Form].[Choice  single 3]))

Unfortunatly you cannot bind a form-variable to a field in the form, so the computed value will not be visible in the form, but it is available in the workflow.

0 Kudos
david_heaps
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thanks for that, eiben - I now realise that I cannot do what I want. I was very much looking to have the result visible as the form is being completed, because it's a form to record observation of a safety procedure, and both the observer and the observed party are expected to sign indicating agreement. The exercise may take place in a location without network connectivity, so a workflow wouldn't execute until the observer returns to a location from where the form will be submitted.

I defined a variable exactly as you suggested but got stuck when I tried to set a rule for each question that would compare the score for that question with the running score variable and update a 'Maximum Score' field with the then-current value of the variable. 

I'll have to re-think the approach with the stakeholders.

The response, however is very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
eiben
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

If you have real application/business logic, that has to be part of the form, then a Nintex Form might not be the best choice. You might have to consider using some other technologie to build the front-end and turn the workflow into a component-workflow, that can than be called from a web-frontend for example. This is quite easily and you could build a more complexe front-end using javascript and PWA technologies and leverage NWC for the processing of the collected values.

0 Kudos
david_heaps
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution
Thanks - I can see the sense in that, but not in this specific case. I think the business user will have to rely on eyeball technology and a manual entry. I can always validate that entry in the workflow and raise an exception if the workflow calculates a different value.
0 Kudos
david_heaps
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Solution identified after some discussion with a Nintex field support rep:

1. Define a field 'RunningScore' or similar and set initial value to 0.

2. For every individual score collected on the form, define a rule that tests the value of the selected score, and set 'RunningScore' to the value being tested. In other words
If [Score] = 1, then [RunningScore] value is 1. 

2. Repeat to find scores of '2 - the first one encountered will set the value of RunningScore to 2.

3. Repeat for score values 3 through n. 

It's not especially elegant but it works. 

0 Kudos