Solved

Find where variables are used in workflow

• 23 March 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

Hi all,

I accidentally entered a collection variable when I meant to enter a string in several workflow actions. The collection variable now says it is being used by 4 workflow actions, but my workflow is very large and I can't find the actions that are using the incorrect variable.

Is there a way to highlight all the actions where the incorrect variable is used, or do I just have to dig through my workflow until I find it? 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by butlerj 24 March 2020, 14:48

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@jstraus currently there is not a mechanism to highlight/find where in the workflow the variables are being used without digging through the workflow. As someone who builds some pretty large workflows I can understand how annoying that can be, and the best way that I've found is actually deleting out chunks of the workflow design (as I do a lot of Action Set nesting) until I've found where the variable is then reverting to my last save and jumping to the variable.

I have also created a new User Voice feature request for this if you would like to add your vote to the idea: https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/430063-5-nintex-workflow-cloud/suggestions/40007359-show-where-variables-are-used-in-workflow.

Badge +4

Great, thanks again @butlerj. I have a couple of suggestions in that User Voice forum, do you know roughly what the vote threshold/timeline for implementation is? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@jstraus that will depend widely between how complex the feature is to implement, but if you have a particular request that you'd like me to follow-up on I can ask one of the PMs in our next sync if they have it on their roadmap currently.

Badge +4

@butlerj This is the one that would be most helpful to the company (and also feels pretty simple to implement): https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/430063-5-nintex-workflow-cloud/suggestions/39761608-add-a-variable-to-the-instance-name-to-help-identi

Thanks again for your help! Your solution of deleting sections until I found the one consuming the variable worked. Not elegant, but effective!