Solved

Create news article from workflow

• 2 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi! My company uses SharePoint online and since yesterday Nintex Workflow Cloud.

Is there a way to create a news article in SharePoint Online out of a workflow from the Nintex Workflow Cloud?  

The workflow should look like this:

When a new item in a list is created, the workflow starts, takes the data from the list item and creates with it a news article in Sharepoint Online.

icon

Best answer by Gavin-Adams 4 February 2021, 06:07

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Mark,

you can create an item in the library based on the news page content type.

However the issue will be that in modern comms sites, news pages use a rich text editor web part to store the content.

In classic publishing pages we used columns to store the content.

Columns of an item are easy to update via nintex workflow sharepoint actions.

Webparts on a page you will only be able to do that programmatically. 

So you could look at the call a web service action to call into sharepoint via the API to do this, it's just not easy.

Badge +1

Thank you, I was hoping for a solution that didn't involve to call a web service action. I solved it now internally with a PowerAutomate Flow, but I'm hoping that Nintex would offer an easier function for this in the future.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @mark3 ,

Thanks for letting us know how you solved it, even if not nintex.

The other thought I just had was the use of Azure Functions.

There are some blog posts and other community posts on how to use Azure Functions in NWC

Extending Nintex Workflow Cloud further with Azure functions - Nintex

Solved: Azure Functions in Nintex Workflow Cloud: Random N... - Nintex Community

Plenty of posts out there on using Azure function with sharepoint modern pages.

here is one from a quick search

Create Modern Pages and update metadata using SPFx Extensions, SP PnP JS and Azure Functions – Tech Huddle (asishpadhy.com)

The benefit of this would be a reusable custom action defined through NWC xtensions and you could reuse this across multiple workflows.