rule logical functions disabled

• 22 January 2006
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
Hello,

I am trying to create a preceding rule for which all previous activity slots have to be completed. I understand this can be done through the logical functions (all, at lest ..etc.). However these are disabled.

Can anyone tell me why the logical functions disabled in rule composer?

The previous activity has multiple slots. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

4 replies

Badge +8
Hi,

Activity variables are only available to the activity it resides in and the lines originating directly from this activity. Thus you will not have a handle on these from a subsequent activity.

If you need to check statuses of previous activities in the preceding rule of a specific activity, I would suggest creating one or more process variables, set these variables to applicable statuses in a server event in the preceding activities and then check against these in the preceding rule of the subsequent activity.
Badge +1
Hi!

Actually I know that, but what i want to do is to use the rule logical functions:

all
at least... etc

with data fields. Logical functions are disabled in k2 studio and i don't know why. Somebody help.
Badge +8
You can only use the logical functions for variables that may have more than one instance of the variable for a single process instances, thus only Activity variables have this functionality. For Process datafields there can always be only one instance of the var, so it doesn t make sense to have logical functions for Process datafields.

You will not have a handle on previous activities datafields from other activities (like you know) so that rules the logical function for activities other than the current one.

Since this is a preceding rule, the actual events that can set the activity datafield values have not executed yet, so the activity datafields can only be their initial values, so again that makes testing against activity variables redundant. You ll see that you cannot select activity variables to set your preceding rule condition for this reason.

Conclusion, for preceding rules, you can only use Process datafields to test other activities statuses and you can t use logical functions for Process datafields. Use Process datafields to check current status of your process.
Badge +1
Great. Thanks alot for the explanation.