Smart Deployment and Integration with SharePoint (WSS)

• 1 December 2008
  • 0 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +3

Hi there K2 community

I am relatively new to the product (blackpearl) and was wondering how far one can push smart deployment options with K2 workflows in the WSS environment.

We are wanting to be able to create a new WSS site for each of our clients, and within each site have various lists and content types and custom asp.net webparts. We will be doing the deployment via features and solution packages - they will be standardised in structure but they will be works in progress to start off with. My questions about deploying K2 are as follows:

• We have learnt in the 101 training how you can associate workflows with specifc SharePoint lists at design time so that they appear in the ECB menu  (edit control block menu - the menu associated with each list item) so that to can easily trigger a new workflow. It there a way of of doing this more simply/dynamically so that we don't have to specify the specific SharePoint lists at design time. The problem is that we will want to associate a workflow with over 600 lists (one list of each type per client site). And clients, and thus client sites will come and go. (I am talking about intranet sites - not extranet or internet sites).
  • So, can you associate a workflow with say a specific content type so that wherever that content type is used that the workflow options will appear in the ECB menu?
  • Or can you programmatically (using WSS and K2 APIs) associate a workflow with a specific list - so imagine an event handler that every time a specific feature is activated on a site that creates a list type that the list can be associated with the correct workflow(s)?
  • Can the K2 webpart be deployed to a site as part of a custom solution package, or a custom site definition?  (I'm assuming yes, once it is in the webpart gallery)
  • Lastly, is this tight integration worth the effort, or would we be better of just providing a set of links to initiate the workflows for the K2 workspace at which time we could select the client? If yes, would we display information about the workflow via a K2 tasklist webpart of the client' wss site, or rather insert a reference to the workflow into a list on the client site as part of the workflow?

Thanks for taking the time to consider my many questions.

Regards, dregel

0 replies

Be the first to reply!