Solved

Calling depth of component workflows - How deep can we go?

• 13 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

How deep can Call a Workflow actions be nested? I remember having read some time ago about a depth of 2: One workflow can call another workflow and that is it. But my simple test today showed that I can call deeper in NWC than 2.

9868i7ED1DE258C93E47C.png

Can anyone shed some light here? Was the limitation of 2 maybe from NW Online? I'd like to know the real limitations. Any link to documentation that I couldn't find apparently is appreciated.

icon

Best answer by leighburke 18 January 2021, 04:11

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@WouterT There is currently no specific limit in NWC but you may run into other limits depending on what you are doing. Did you have a use case in mind?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

It's great to have that confirmation. I have a custom of putting advanced item lookups in component workflows which return a single item id based on business rules. That allows me then to easily retrieve the entire object of the item for further use in the main workflow. I ran into this case of nesting when I implemented a larger component workflow that also would like to make use of these ID-lookup component workflows. That would bring me to a third level of nesting. As I wrote, I remember a note (probably from NW365) that there could be no nesting.

Thanks for this confirmation!