Solved

Add variable to attachment file name

• 13 March 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

Hey there,

I am wondering if there is a way to add variable to the attachment file name before storing the file in a SharePoint online list?

The scenario I have is we have a photo competition and I want add the title value to the attachment name to make it easier for our communications team to link the photo to the specific title.

I've attached my screenshot to give a reference of what I am trying to achieve. 

I am hoping I can achieve something like "Title - file name.jpeg".

This will make linking that file name to the title all that much easier.

Definitely would appreciate the help on this team.

6834i1FE164C6D3CA4DFA.png

icon

Best answer by butlerj 16 March 2020, 15:24

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@XenoIcon I have done some testing within NWC and it looks like currently this is not possible with how form files are stored in Blog storage. 

At first I thought we could potentially update the name within the collection that holds the variable that is created by the form by using RegEx:

And while I was able to update the name in the collection, because this just acts as a 'reference' to the file in Blog storage (not the file itself), the workflow instance failed:

I have created a UserVoice post for this functionality here and added a couple votes for the idea to help it get started: https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/430063-5-nintex-workflow-cloud/suggestions/39948154-update-file-name-in-workflow. Feel free to add your own votes to the idea to raise its visibility to the product team.

Badge +4

Hey @butlerj,

thank you so much for putting effort into this, and trying to get a reasonable solution for me! I have put some votes in myself and share with colleagues to gain some momentum.

For now, I've created another column in SharePoint to capture the file name and have it next to the title to make it easier for our Comms team to identify.

I just had one more question...and let me know if I should make a thread in the Office 365 area, is this same process possible in Nintex for Office 365?

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@XenoIcon Did some hunting on this and it looks like the only way to do this within O365 is via a web service call (related StackExchange thread), they just do not seem to make it easy to interact with list item attachments :/

Badge +4

Oh wow, that's some effort but handy to know!

I have a requirement for it within Office 365 as well, so I am going to give this a crack soon!! Thanks for your time on this and fingers crossed this solution is integrated into Nintex (O365 and WFC) in the not too distant future!