Deployment and String Table

• 30 March 2005
  • 8 replies

Badge +3
I am looking for information about how to use string tables to make deployment smoother. I am planning on deploying the K2 work to another server eventually - different server names, etc..

There are several places including the SharePoint server events where the specified server will be different.

How do I use string tables to substitute project specific information?

Thank you for any assistance.

8 replies

Badge +2
http://portal.k2workflow.com/help/k2.net%202003/WebHelp/K2Studio/UserInterfaces/Create_a_String_Table_entry.htm
Badge +3
Thank you I have seen these instructions. My question is more about how to use the string tables.

Does clicking the "Update value for all Servers" check box just update all the references to server in the code? Even if the box is checked, how does one initiate the substitution? What else must be done to allow for substitutions in all the code?
Badge +2
I think you have to export the process again for updated string tables to have effect, although I am not 100% sure.
Badge
The String Table entries in K2.net are used for run-time lookups, so it is possible to change the entry values and they will then be reflected in the next lookup.

Using the K2.net Service Manager, it is possible to directly update the String Table entries (with immediate effect).

So you can update the string table entries via the K2.net Service manager and with the next step in your process, the updated values would be used.

It is also possible to update the String table entries via the K2.net 2003 Studio, but you will have to export the info to the K2 Server.

Please note that when you update the String Table entries using the K2.net Service Manager, your K2.net 2003 Studio solution will not reflect the updated information - you will have to update the info in the solution before exporting to the server.
Badge +3
Good info. I have figured out where I need to put the String table values and how to use/export it. It seems like an important detail not mentioned anywhere, but if you are planning to move your work onto a different server, use of the string table is quite necessary. Variables should be set with K2.StringTable["VarName"]; wherever server/SharePoint specific site informatoin is referenced.

Thanks for your help.
Badge +5
icon-quote.gifSeanvdW:
The String Table entries in K2.net are used for run-time lookups, so it is possible to change the entry values and they will then be reflected in the next lookup.

Using the K2.net Service Manager, it is possible to directly update the String Table entries (with immediate effect).

So you can update the string table entries via the K2.net Service manager and with the next step in your process, the updated values would be used.

It is also possible to update the String table entries via the K2.net 2003 Studio, but you will have to export the info to the K2 Server.

Please note that when you update the String Table entries using the K2.net Service Manager, your K2.net 2003 Studio solution will not reflect the updated information - you will have to update the info in the solution before exporting to the server.

I find this paragraph self contradicting. If using K2.net Service Manager has an immediate effect, then why would the Studio solution not reflect the updated information? Doesn't it look up the stringtable entry @ runtime?

Now, StringTable is widly advertised to replace servenames and such, while the K2 Trainenr material states the following:
String Table Variables can be inserted wherever the K2.net Studio interface allows the insertion on K2.net Process or Activity Data Fields.
Is that the only place where it can be used? When I try to configure my K2 InfoPath integrated process and use a string table entry for something trully useful like the template location / InfoPath K2 webservice / SharePoint workspace URL, it doesn't seem to support this by generating an error.
And this occurs after even after a dummy process has been exported with the appropriate string table populated! Am I really confined to other less useful locations or is there something I'm missing here?
Badge +9
Hi,

The InfoPath process wizard does not allow the use of String Table values due to the risk of version compatibility issues between various versions of process instances. A simple test will be to click on Browse button in the wizards that opens the K2.net Data Browser , if string tables are available it can be used.
Badge +11
As far as finding the paragraph to be self-contradicting is concerned...

Remember, K2.net 2003 Service Manager interacts directly with the K2 transaction database (Run-Time) while K2 Studio interacts with a saved solution on the File system (Design Time). Therefore, a change in the Run-Time data will not be reflected in the Design Time data. In order for the Design Time data to be in sync with the Run Time data, you need to make the change in K2.net 2003 Studio and export the values to the Run Time environment (database).

Hope this makes sense,
Ockert