Solved

Workflow Error Handling

• 29 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hello, we have a form that is quite user intensive to fill out. Once the workflow starts there is a MySQL query to check where the form should get routed depending on the user's input. There's always a chance of server outage and I want to protect the user inputted data. Right now the ability to resume the workflow after an error is still in development, so I'm looking for a workaround. I'm thinking perhaps have them initiate the process with a few questions, then run the query, then send them the more detailed form? Or is there some other way to store the data externally and bring it back into the workflow in case of failure? Or som

icon

Best answer by SimonMuntz 5 May 2022, 08:42

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi ,

Thank you for your question.

Yes the resume/re-run capability is coming to Nintex Workflow Cloud.
In the mean time you could duplicate your workflow but have a start form that has a Text - Long control where you could paste the JSON start data from the failed instance.  Then have Query JSON actions extract the start data that is needed into workflow variables and then run the rest of the workflow.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hey @SimonMuntz ,

Quick point of clarification. I know the roadmap for NWC has being able to restart a failed workflow on it. But are you saying that being able to resume a failed workflow is also in the works? 

I'm starting to feel like error handling is the Achilles' heel of NWC, but being able to resume (not simply restart) a workflow that has a failed step would be great news!

Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Sorry for my misleading post. The feature to re-run a failed workflows is coming in the near future. As you stated, resuming workflows is not on the roadmap.
Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Resuming a failed workflow would be great. I am currently developing workarounds for when workflows fail after a task is completed and a SQL query call fails because the database is (temporarily) unavailable. I know how to restart the workflow, but it loses all the user input from any tasks that have been completed.