Update sharepoint list item workflow updates all items based on condition

Badge +4

I have designed a workflow to run when a SharePoint list item is updated and has a specific condition rule. What I've found is that when the workflow runs it selects all items in the SharePoint list with that condition and processes them all. Is there a way to ensure that when a SharePoint list item is updated it is the only one selected by the workflow, i.e. some way to parse the ID to it?

3 replies

Badge +2

When a listitem is updated then you can:

• (in the workflow) use the last item that was updated by desc filtering the last item and pick that one

• when the item is updated you can also make sure that another (new) field is updated. in the workflow you can check that field

• on premise (maybe also other) you can define at the workflow settings when to start a workflow: on change or on create but also with an condition (you can maybe combine this with second option)

Badge +4
Thanks for that. I think I have gone down the route of one of your options. I have added a hidden field to the Nintex form linked to the list and using this as a mechanism of identifying the updated list item. It still runs the risk of there being more than one person updating the list but it works. Is that what you meant in your second point?
Badge +2

Yes. Good to hear there is a workaround. On the other hand is it standard behaviour that the item that you are creating/updating is the only one that will be updated in the workflow. Maybe the structure that is updating all items is not correct. You can also move this to for example a site workflow (for example update multiple items) or second list-workflow to trigger this whenever you want.