Update item

• 1 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I'm sure this is easy, but I am having a very difficult time. I've used on prem, but am new to cloud. 

The workflow starts when a new item is created which brings in the start variables. I can't edit those on the form, so I tried setting up a Get Item to bring back the details. Turns out those values are also inherited from a variable and cannot be edited on the form. If I add a single line text and set the default value to equal of the variables (Start or Get) I can edit it, but I cannot seem to pass that edit through to the list because the form variable is grayed out when I try to add it to the Update Item action. 

For example, the workflow has an Amount field. I want the user to be able to change the Amount on the form and have the list reflect that change. The Update Item action works if I manually set the Amount, but I want that done by the user via the form.

Much appreciated!

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@fuller the best way to do this today would be to actually use the Start Event variable as a 'Default Value' for your form controls. For example, with this task form, I have the greyed out version for viewing, but if I want to update that data I would use a date/time control and set default value to the Start Event variable:

This will let me edit that controls value. And then I can use that form variable to pass back to the SharePoint site when the task is completed:

Hope that helps!

Badge +1

@butlerj Thanks! Works with Assign a task, but when I try to do the same with Assign to multiple the form variables are grayed out. Am I missing something or not possible?

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@fuller so this is because with the multi-user task action the responses come back as a collection (essentially a container that hold all of the various user's responses within it). To get to the individual items within the collection you will most likely want to use a loop action and either update the item directly (if you have append enabled on your SharePoint item) or use the 'Create a text string' action to concatenate the results: