Solved

Task Outcome in Document Tagger

Badge +3

Hello,

I am trying to put the outcome decision of an "Assign a task" action into a PDF via the document generator. For some reason, however, the "outcome" decision does not appear as a variable from that form in the document tagger. If, on the other hand, I use a "assign task to multiple people" you can get the outcome variable from the "first response" set. Is there a reason you can't get the outcome decision from a "assign task" object or am I missing something?

icon

Best answer by Gavin-Adams 29 July 2022, 01:50

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @AutomationPerso 

You need to create a Task Outcome variable to store the Assign a Task outcome.

STEPS:

In the Assign a Task settings, you need to specify i) Store Output as Outcome ii) Set Outcome variable name

The final TaskOutcome variable creation.

Once you have the Variable, you can use the Nintex Document Tagger 

Copy the Tag and paste into your Word template.

Result after running DocGen (outcome is Reject)

Badge +3

I don't see the ability to edit the Output variable in my tasks, all I see is this:

Note, these are all form driven tasks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Try creating a workflow variable to store the outcome. Then use the "Set a variable value" action in each outcome branch to store the value to the outcome. You should then be able to access the variable value in other workflow actions.

Badge +3
There is no 'outcome' variable to store in the workflow variable. I see the other form variables from the form, but not the outcome one.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

You need to create a variable or use a Text control.

Below is an example of using a Text control "OutputText". Use the form rules to set the value of the OutputText

You can access the OutputText control value via

In the Nintex Document Tagger, you can access the value in the Task Form

Badge +3
I mean that works, but why? Seems like a needless workaround, especially when this works as predicted when using an "assign to multiple users" task type.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @bamaeric - There wasn't a workflow variable that contain the Outcome value.

Workaround - In the Task Form, You have to create a control to store the Outcome then use Form Rules to assign the value to the control. 

Now the Outcome value is available and accessible to the workflow  

Cheers

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @AutomationPerso ,

The original 'Assign a task' is quite limited.

This is known as task v1 in the SDK

Welcome to the Nintex Workflow Cloud API | Nintex Workflow Cloud 

Nintex has been developing more of task v2 which is the 'Assign a task to multiple users'.

As @Garrett as shown when the v1 'Assign a task' in in express mode you can capture an outcome variable (see at the bottom of the configuration). However in form mode, it does not capture the outcome in a variable, unless you set the variable in the aprrove or reject branches of the action.

The new v2 'Assign a task to multiple users' action is much richer. And as you pointed out you can get the outcome and any other form controls through the first response in the object. 

Recently Nintex has also release task delegation for tasks using this v2 action.

If you are able I would recommend switching your approval to task from 'Assign a task' to 'Assign a task to multiple users' even if you are only assigning a single person to the task. 

If you have developed a task form from the original task, you can export that form and import the form into the new form, then just fix up the outcome control to be the new task outcome.

Thanks,

Gavin

Thanks for solution...