Creating a document from Nintex Form

• 20 October 2015
  • 4 replies

Badge +8

Hi Community,

I am trying to use a custom Nintex form that was created based off a paper document to create a document into a document library. Currently inside the document library there is a content type Bonds Document and that content type has a Nintex form created for it.  The content type is added to the document library but every time you try to create new item we are getting the error message "'New Document' requires a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible application and web browser. To add a document to this document library, click the 'Upload Document' button.".  We are planning on using multiple content types in this Document Library to create specific documents.

1) Is there a way to use Nintex form to create a document with out a actually word template

or

2) Should we just build document templates that are then tied to the content type for users to fill in versus a form

Thank you

4 replies

Badge +8

As added information the user will be told to create this item through a workflow task based on need depending on information that gets passed into the workflow from other sources.

Badge +11

Hi Kevin,

I would setup the nintex form on a separate list where all the field will be available.

The document library with the word document can be setup as a content type template. Within this template, you can use Content Controls to show the properties of the document. I have done this in the past. The error might be because the workflow tries to update the content type itself instead of creating a new document based on that content type. I have faced this issue earlier so yours may be similar.

When you enable content type for library, upload a new document template in the advanced settings of the content type. That should resolve this.

Within the list workflow, use Create Item action, when you select the library, it will show you the content types available. Select your content type  and select the mapping of each field.

Let me know if you need more details. Hope it helps.

If you want to convert the form directly to pdf, Vadim has a great post:  Nintex Workflow/Forms to PDF - Vadim Tabakman

If you want 3rd party tools, check out Muhimbi's converter.

Badge +8

Hi Kapil,

Got a question for you.  Have you done it where the workflow creates the list item to then create the document.  The client has a List for doing Purchases then based off some choices the user makes then they need to create the document. So how are you getting the information for the document from the user through the workflow. Did you just use the Request Data Action or did you go another route?

Thanks,

Badge +11

Hi Kevin,

In my case, the user is filling the form initially as a request. I'm requesting the data from the user as part of the same form. I have a panel hidden initially and then shown later during request. Once they complete the information, I take that to create the document in another library. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.