Solved

Start workflow on another list using 'Create List Item' action?

• 29 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello! 

I have a workflow on List A with the action 'Create List Item' that will duplicate a item into List B. I wanted to create a new item in this list to create an unfiltered view of a form, free of rules so that everyone can view information entered by the previous party.

The item is created in List B perfectly; however, the workflow in List B will not kick off and can only be triggered manually. I have the 'Start when items are created' AND 'Start when items are modified' both toggled on. 

A solution I tried was to create a column in List B called "WorkflowB", then I used a 'Update List Item' action in the List A workflow to change that value to 'Yes' which should be an item modification. The workflow will still not trigger. Anyone have any ideas how I can automatically trigger the workflow in List B when an item is created from a workflow in List A?

icon

Best answer by kchaluvadi 29 July 2021, 22:01

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

On Office 365, Nintex workflow does not trigger automatically when an item is created/modifed by another workflow. To trigger the workflow when an item is created do the following:

• Store the item id of the item that got created in List B to a variable in "Create Item" action

• Use "Start Workflow" action and input the "workflow name on List B" and item ID of List B

Hope it works.

@kchaluvadi 

Awesome!! It worked beautifully. Thank you very much 😁

For the next readers that have this issue:

1. In List A, I used the 'Create List Item' action and configured a variable for Output as ID within that action

2. Later in the workflow in List A, I used the 'Start Workflow' action and used that variable created in the previous step and entered it into Item ID or GUID.