Solved

Smartsheet Add a Row Function

Hello All,

Looking at the Smartsheet API connection, we only have:

19086i03CBFB67CDEEC610.png

Ability to get certain variables from Smartsheet, hoping we can add another to Add Rows. 

We are trying to use the Nintex Forms and store list data in Smartsheet for Auditing purposes. Looking at Smartsheet API 2.0 capabilities they show the ability to Add Rows: https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/#add-rows

If this can be added, we will greatly appreciate the help. If not an alternative solution will help too. 

Thank You

icon

Best answer by _Ruben 10 August 2021, 17:29

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@_Ruben for your visibility around the Smartsheet connector. 

@aadhawan currently while the Smartsheet API support add a row, that capability has not yet been added to the NWC connector. As we're evaluating updates to the Smartsheet connector, would be very interested to get more information about the use case where you're capturing data via the NWC form. Are you able to share that?

Hello @_Ruben,

Thanks for your quick reply.

We are currently using a generic New Hire Form: 

To import users' data into variables which we will like to add to our Smartsheet for the record, auditing, and tracking. 

We do a lot of record-keeping in smartsheet currently, and we will like to build more features with the add-on capability for Smartsheet API - to enable us future integrations with other programs. 

The key ideas will be to enter the data from the variables in the Smartsheet (hoping this will be available) and then look up the row and attach the signed Adobe forms in Smartsheet (which seems possible with current options):

For the Smartsheet, this is how it will look like:

Thank you, and let me know if this is good, or would you like another example.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

We would also find more functionality in the Smartsheet connector helpful. 

At the moment, here's what we're doing to add a new row:

1. Get Sheets action, then find the sheet ID of the desired sheet from what's returned.

2. Using a Web Request action with the GetSheet API and the sheet ID to get the data for the actual sheet.

3. Query JSON action to create a collection of Column IDs and Column Names

4. Loop through a collection of NWC variables that should be in the new row doing the following to form the body of the Add Row API call:

1. Match the variable name with the column name to identify the column ID.

2. Format and Add the NWC variable value and the column ID to a String variable representing the body of the Add Row request. 

5. Do some final formatting of the variable to ensure it's formatted as Smartsheet expects.

6. Use a Web Request actions with the AddRow API and formatted string variable to add the row.

I've got this in it's own Component Workflow so that it can be used in multiple workflows... would be much easier if there was a connector action to do it! 

Badge +2

Thanks for the feedback about the SmartSheet connector.

As @butlerj indicated, we're evaluating this at the moment and 'Add Row' is high on the list. At the moment we're at a stage where we're technically evaluating this as there are some technical items to consider on our side.

Once we know more, we'll post an update here.

Wow, I wish I could do your 3 and 6th steps.
But Koodos you made it work.
Userlevel 4
Badge +12

@aadhawan 

Also in the December release the out of the box smartsheet action has been updated to include Add a row. So you might be able to move away from any custom API work on this one now.

Nintex Workflow Cloud release notes 

Thanks, Gavin - This will help a lot.

Hi,

...first day with access and use of Nintex here....so my questions may be a bit amateurish here but I'm hoping someone would be kind and patient enough to assist me with marrying up Smartsheet and Nintex. I have a Smartsheet license etc and have used Smartsheets for years. I got my hands on a company Nintex license yesterday 🙂.

What I have achieved so far...

- Setup a Nintex Form as a start event

- Have the start event form submittal trigger an email with an attachment. 

- Have the start event form submittal also trigger a new row to be added to my smartsheet sheet. 

- Have the document attach to A row. (but not the row I want it to). 

But... the issue is the attachment doesn't attach to the newly added row and instead, it attaches to the same row every time I submit a form so I end up with lots of attachments in a single row rather than 1 attachment in every row. Hopefully, that makes sense.

Below is a screenshot. I have submitted the form twice and both times the attachment went to the same row. ...but I want the attachment and the row data to match so there should be 1 attachment per row. 

Do you know how to resolve this?

@aadhawan @Gavin-Adams 

Any help for this newbie will be appreciated. 

Hey Mrbougles,

I believe if you select the output from the add a row function you ran just above the attach file to a row. Add the ID from the add a row function output in the attach file to the row number variable, you should get your results. 

Thanks 

Hi. just wanted to acknowledge your assistance above. I haven't had a chance to try it yet and Im about to go on holiday for a week upon my return I will get it working per your above guide. Thanks.