Event Notification in Workflow fails to send

• 9 December 2015
  • 4 replies

Badge +8

I created a workflow with a user task. The task was to approve, reject, or rework a form. The workflow would kick in as it should but the notification would fail to send. I opened Blackpearl server and noticed an error 61007. Permanent failure sending message "task": System Exception: No destination to send the message "task". EWSMessageDestination:1 The email address "address" does not have 'send on behalf of' permissions on Exchange Online. I was able to send emails from a workflow when I used an explicit email but the task event notification was failing. The email account is configured for the admin account. I noticed that when sending explicit email in a workflow the sender was the admin account. When sending the event notification the sender was the service account. So the way I resolved this issue was to navigate to the Blackpearl folder under "Program Files (x86)>K2 Blackpearl>Host Server>Bin" I found the K2 Hoster Server.exe file. I did a control find and searched for the service account. What I found looked like this.

<system self="K2Domainservice account" enbleListeners="True" allowAmbiguity="true" />

I changed this to reflect the Admin account.

<system self="K2Domainadmin account" enbleListeners="True" allowAmbiguity="true" />

I restarted Blackpearl server and tested the change. Event notifications were now sending as they should.

Thanks

4 replies

Badge +9

Just so that you know, that 'system self=' account is the smartactions account. If your admin account is a user account that receives emails regularly, you will have a problem. 

The main issue here it would seem is that the service account does not have 'send on behalf of' permissions. Granting the permissions would resolve the issue here.

Badge +8

Thanks for your input. It is much apreciated.

"Send on Behalf of" permissions are set at a per user basis in exchage. Are you suggesting that I modify the accounts of 7,000 users to add "Send on Behalf of" privledges for the Admin account? Maybe I am misunderstanding the "Send on Behalf of" priveledge in Exchange.

Thanks,

B

Badge +9

No... the other way around. You just need to set it for your service account. See http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/configuring-send-as-permissions-on-exchange-server/

Some things to check:

1. In the environment library, what is the value of the "From Address"?

2. Run the connection string editor from the host serverin folder on the blackpearl server. Which account is specified in the connection strings?

3. Does 1 and 2 match up with the initial value of <system self in the K2hostserver.exe.config?

Badge +8

Thanks for the feedback!

1. The environment library "From Address" is pointing to the account configured for email.

2. The connection string editor is showing the account configured for email.

3. <system self> was showing a different account. When I changed it to match the account configured for email the event notifications started working right away.

What I am thinking is the Service Account was trying to send the email for the event notification and since there was no email account associated with it I received the error.

Thanks again for your input. We installed K2 Blackpearl about two months ago and it has been a journey. I will miss the good old InfoPath days of typing a questions into google and getting two million results.