Query User Profile returns missing values

• 17 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Working in Nintex, I have a workflow that is kicked off when a form is saved. The workflow generates a PDF version of the Nintex form (we need actual signatures - digital in the future, fingers crossed). This is done by updating a word template, then converting to PDF.

When the word document is updated, the 'assigned to:' field is getting an AD account name instead of the user's First, Last name (which is expected). Now I'm trying to format it so it's more appropriate to the Hard Copy (in the Nintex form, it shows as Last, First).

I used a Query User Profile action, passed it the same variable I was using to hold the form's 'assigned to' value, and then used the drop down menu to choose the user profile variables I wanted (First, Last, also: username, account name, Distinguish name). All values are generating empty strings.

I've incrementally tried handing the values to variables that are of type String, Person, or Collection. I also handed it my username instead of the variable and set my account info for the login. I've always selected values, so I don't think it's a typo.

I'm at a loss... the workflow emails the user at the end, so it's getting the data. I hope that's enough info, I'm new to SP/Nintex so it could be a rookie mistake. Any help is appreciated.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @DennisSSebasiSt , 

just a quick note (will definitely check the query use profile) but could the Action "Get User Details" from the Azure AD Section maybe work out?

Cheers

Sven

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Another question, 

maybe i didn't read it correctly, form where do you get the variable with the username or last and first name. 

Both actions require an email address to get data objects.

Cheers

Sven

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @DennisSSebasiSt ,  Are your using Nintex Workflow Cloud or Nintex for SharePoint (online or on-premise) ? 

If you're using Nintex Workflow Cloud, you don't need any other workflow Action to get the Firstname, LastName and/or Email information to be updated dynamically in the PDF generated as per as you're using the Generate Document action. 

If you're using Nintex for SharePoint, as I think you're, you don't need to use the Query User profile action, you can use Set Variable action and get a value from the User Profiles source as shown below : 

Make sure you select the Login Name return type to match the Account Name.

However, the Query User Profile action should also work. I would recommend you to capture the Error from the action to check if there's any error when running the action.

Hope that helps.