How to make a calculated field editable ?

• 23 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I have two fields in my nintex form for share point 2016, one is a "user name" field and the other one is a "user department" field.  The user name field is a people field and the user department field is a calculated field pulling information based on the index "user name" from the active directory.

I want to make the calculated value field i.e. the department field to be editable so that the user is able to overwrite the department name, in case if an incorrect department is associated with his name in the active directory.  I tried some java script but it didn't work. 

Thanks in advance. 

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

You can't make a calculated field editable. I would make a new text field that a user can enter in a new department name, maybe with labels "Current Dept" over the calc field and "New Dept" over the text field .  

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

If you are using responsive forms you can use a text field and a set value rule to populate the data from the user perspective.  The setup I would go with:

• Add People Picker Control
  • Add Single Line of Text Control
  • Create Form variable with User Profile Lookup for "department" for the formula
  • Create a rule to "Set Value" of the Single Line of Text control to the Form Variable. For the condition, I would do something along the lines of:
    • PeoplePickerControl != ""

This setup will allow the user to edit the control but still pull in the department data whenever the people control is updated.  If you are looking to use this on classic forms, you would need to do something similar with setting the value using a calculated value control and custom Javascript.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Generally what we do in this situation is add an "Override?" Y/N checkbox. When that is checked, a Single Line of Text entry box appears over top (or beside) the calculated field. The workflow then takes the calc if it was an "N" and the override if it was a "Y".

I'm sure there's many ways to handle this, though.

Badge +1

Thank you all for the information.