Solved

Manually start workflow on SharePoint 365 item (with Nintex form)

• 15 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I am trying to replicate the standard start functionality of Nintex on-prem. That is, a user manually triggers a workflow on a SharePoint item, a Nintex form is provided for the user to fill out variables, then the workflow runs using the provided SharePoint item and variables.

From what I've seen neither Nintex365 nor Nintex Cloud workflows are capable of this.

Nintex Cloud Workflows - I cannot see a way to manually start Cloud workflows on a SharePoint item. There is an automatic start option for created/modified items, but this obviously does not provide the required form. The Form start event doesn't have a way to automatically connect back to the SharePoint item where the user came from.

Nintex365 - Nintex365 workflows do not provide a Nintex form when initiated. Variables can be provided via the built-in SharePoint workflow form only, which means no formatting or rules can be used. The only workaround I've found is assigning the initiator a task which includes a Nintex form and requests the starting variables. This is super clunky as it requires users to go through two separate actions to start a workflow and it's far more likely for users to forget to provide info.

I'm hoping I'm missing something obvious which someone here can point me to.

icon

Best answer by leighburke 15 October 2021, 03:15

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@il_liam Below are two potential workarounds for this use case. Have the user edit the item and an option that will update a field on that item which would be the condition for the workflow to run. Have a link/custom button on the item that will pass the item ID to an NWC Form(https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nwc/Content/Designer/Functions/getQueryStringParameter.htm), the workflow would then be able to query that item using that ID.

Badge +1
Hello leighburke,

getQueryStringParameter is exactly what I need! Thank you very much.