Set site permissions in a workflow

• 12 September 2014
  • 11 replies

Badge +11

I have a workflow that creates a site. In that workflow, I need to be able to give the user who initiated the workflow full control in the site that was created. I do not want to use the webservice action because I do not have login information to the webserver. I know you can give permissions on an item and a list. Is there a way to give the user full controlĀ  to the site in the workflow?

Ā 

Thanks in advance!

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In the Create a Site action that creates a subsite (not site collection), you have the option to configure it to Inherit permissions of the parent site, or alternatively define the Site Owner of the created site.

Badge +11

We have a group who is the site owner. They have full control permissions as well.Ā  But the person who requested the site does not belong in this group. That group is more for the SharePoint admins/developers.

Badge +8

Can't you do it like this then? (Andrew's option two).

permissions.JPG

Badge +11

No. Any site that we create here has to be owned by this particular Owner group which is full of developers and admins only. This is to insure if any regular user messes up their sandbox test site, the owners can fix it. But the initiator can have full control. They just can't be part of the Owner's group. Keep in mind this same workflow runs everytime a user requests a sandbox. Also, if I'm not mistaken only 1 group can be the site owner.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can have as many full control users/groups as you like and as many site collection admins also.

A simple way to add the group is using Web Services. See this link for UDA uses of the web service calls Nintex Workflow 2010 - SharePoint User Group UDAs - Vadim Tabakman

Badge +11

We don't have login credentials for using Web Services. Only the admins on the servers do.

As for t he 'Site Owner', I need to find out if having that person as that would be a problem. I don't see why it should. Full Control should be the same thing.

Badge +11

Ok. I was just talking to another developer on the team. In addition to the initializer having full control, the permissions from the parent site would still need to be inherited allowing others to view this site and play around. Nintex is forcing us to choose one or the other. If you choose Inherit Permissions, you don't get the option to put in Site Owners and vice versa. Dag on!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The permission management you are describing has nothing to do with Nintex. You need to understand SharePoint permission management. You cannot customize a site permissions AND have it inherit permissions.

Badge +11

Maybe I am confused. I am referring to the screenshot above. If you don't select 'Inherit Permissions, you can determine the site owners. If you do not, you can not select the site owners. In our case, we need to be able to do both: be able to select the 'Inherit Permissions' checkbox and set site owners. The reason for this is the Initiator normally would NOT have full control. But because this is just a sandbox they can. Everyone else needs their same permissions they have to all other sandboxes.

For example, you, Glenda and I are users. You and I already have sandboxes. Glenda requests a sandbox kicking off this workflow which creates it and sets the permissions. You and I should be able to have access to her sandbox and play around with it but NOT full control. Glenda needs to have full control. She does not have full control in anybody else's sandbox. The owners' group also needs full control. Currently, because of these issues it does everything properly but we have to manually go in SharePoint and give the initiator full control.

Badge +11

Hi burkslm,

Could you pleaseĀ let us know if this issue was resolved and what you did to resolve the same. Please mark the appropriate response as correct answer to helpĀ others in the community. happy.png

Badge +11

Its been so long ago, I don't remember how I resolved the issue.