Solved

Is it possible to connect NWC Data Lookup control to SQL Server

Badge +5

Hi,

In my projects I need to auto-populate my Start Event form with data.  The only two ways that I know so far it is possible is: first by using getQueryStringParameter function, and second by using a Data Lookup control.  With the second method I can load my drop down list from a SharePoint, and also filter the response with a local variable.  I was hoping that there was a way of doing similarly from SQL Server.

Is it possible to achieve?

Regards.

icon

Best answer by Jake 7 June 2021, 11:35

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @artmov 

If your SQL server is API enabled such as Azure SQL, you can create a Nintex Xtension for your service, using this then you will be able to add that service as a data source.

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/xtensions/Home.htm

Hope this helps

Jake

Badge +5
Hi @Jake,

Xtention is a good tip. Thank you. I experimented with Xtentions in connection with Data Lookup control. It works, but the problem is that you cannot filter the results. When you a SharePoint Data Source in Data Lookup control, then the Editor gives you an option to set a filter dynamically, which makes the results set customizable for any specific case on the form. On the other hand, when I use Xtention Data Source, then there is no filter and there is no way to set an input parameter. Thus the Data Lookup is always populated with the same data, which makes it static and not very useful.
Do you have any suggestions in that regard?
Thank you.
Badge +5
Hi @Jake,

I need to tell you that my previous comment is probably outdated. Since you gave me this direction, I went to my old solutions, which stopped working 🙂, and tried to rebuild them. It turns out that now I can pass a parameter to an Extension connecting to API and pass parameters. My form drop-down is updated dynamically. Pretty nice.
Now, I will need to create an API connecting to SQL.

Thank you again for a nice tip.