Solved

Is User Context NWC Form object only accessible to tenant members

• 29 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

I tried using User Context Object on NWC form and I can display my First Name, Last Name, Email.  Then I asked my colleague who is not on our NWC tenant to launch the URL and bring up the form, and he is getting an error:

The signed in User is not assigned a role in the application ......

I am not sure whether the application listed is NWC tenant, or that is a SharePoint application.  Which bring to another question.  Is User Context Object only available to NWC tenant members, or associated SharePoint apps?

Regards.

icon

Best answer by butlerj 9 August 2021, 18:52

View original

6 replies

Badge +5

I contacted Nintex Customer Central and they told me that User Context will only work for the members of the tenant.  This means that we still cannot access information of the user who accessed the start event form.  Overwhelming majority of my users are not members of the tenant.

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@artmov are the users that are accessing your form in Azure AD, and is you NWC tenant federated with Azure AD?

Badge +5

Hi @butlerj,

Yes, all of my users are in Azure AD.  Can you give me some tips about "NWC tenant federated with Azure AD".  I am nor familiar with that.

Regards.

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@artmov you can configure your NWC environment to be federated with your Azure AD environment and then any time that one of your users signs into NWC for the first time it will provision them a user within your NWC tenant with the participant role. We have more information about this here in the help documentation: https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nwc/Content/Settings/UserManagement.htm.

This does require some admin configuration with your domain (https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nwc/Content/Settings/Domains.htm) but once it is all setup you shouldn't have to worry about adding users to NWC, as it will all be taken care of automatically for you.

Badge +5

@butlerj 

Great!  Thank you for the tip.  My users are not accessing workflows through NWC login.  They are clicking on the URL of the workflow in the web form.  How can I handle this situation?

Regards.

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@artmov currently the user context variables are only available to users that actually sign into via the NWC login, otherwise NWC has no way of knowing who that user is. With federation enabled you could also enable SSO with auto-acceleration, where if the user is already signed into say SharePoint Online, then they wouldn't need to sign into NWC again and it would just create a user for them based on their SharePoint (Azure AD) profile. If you're providing the form to users outside of SharePoint (non-AD users), then user context variables won't work as there is no data for NWC to use to discover who they are.