TFS compare .sodx with latest version.

• 30 October 2017
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I am maintaining an older K2 blackpearl system for a customer. The development environment is a virtual machine running Windows Server 2008R2 Datacenter with K2 blackpearl 4.6.6 and Visual Studio Professional 2012. The  development environment is connected through VPN to the customers Team Foundation Server.

The previous developer who handed over the project to me, apparently made some changes, which I do not know the extent of. And this person is not available in the company anymore.

On the Visual Studio Team Explorer I have a couple of pending changes in some .sodx files and a .dll file (see attached image). However I am not able to see, which changes were made. If I rightclick and choose "Compare with Latest Version", I just see a lot of unreadable XML code (.sodx). This doesn't tell me anything useful.

So my question is. Are there a way of finding out, which changes were made to these files?

Thanks in advance.

12637iECDAA770629DB9DF.png

2 replies

Badge +9

Hi RonnieP,

This will be a very difficult task to try and make sense of the XML. All K2 Processes (KPRX) and SmartObjects (SODX) are all saved in an XML format.

You should be able to set the SODX file thats currently running on the system by opening the SmartObject Service Tester Tool (K2 blackpearlBinSmartObject Service Tester.exe), navigating to the SmartObject, right-click and select "To SODX"

You can then create a Temp K2 Project Add this SODX with the Edited Version of the SODX and look throuh the UI to see if you can spot any differences.

Just make sure you dont deploy the Edited SODX file accidently :)

-Jean

Hi JeanSmit,

Thank you for your post. At the end, I chose to check in the pending changes, to prevent any loss of work. Then we can roll back on a later point, if this is causing problems.

To set up a Temp K2 project for testing would be too big of a task, because we have a huge load of integrations that should be set up to get it working. Therefore I chose the easy solution in this situation.

Maybe the K2 developers should concider making it possible to compare two KPRX packages or SmartObjects, to see the changes in someway? I should mention that I am working with K2 blackpearl 4.6.6 so maybe this actually IS possible in later versions?

/RonnieP