Solved

How to Update SPO List Item Number Column with Empty (null)

• 18 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

In my workflow, I am updating some columns in a SharePoint Online List Item. I want to clear the value in a Number field.

When I add the field in the Update configurator and don't enter anything in that field, I get a warning when I try to publish. "Error: The workflow contains unconfigured actions. Please configure all actions and try publishing again."

To fix the error, I enter a number in the field. And then I delete that number. I am able to publish, but when the workflow runs, the value in that field does not get cleared.

Furthermore, when I edit the workflow and configure the Update step, I discover that the field I wanted to update with blank (null, nothing) was removed from the configuration.

How do I clear the contents of a SPO List Item Number field in the Update items step?

icon

Best answer by Michele 20 August 2021, 02:45

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Michele There is no way I am aware of to clear the number column using the update item, integer/decimal variables can't be blank so it will always have a value of 0 when used.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
"How to I set a sharepoint online date column to be empty using update items action?"
Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Update: After working more with the number field in the SPO list itself, it appears that once a number has been entered into that field, it's virtually impossible to return it to the empty state. I edited the data directly in the SharePoint list and I could not clear out the field. I resorted to setting it to zero. 

So, I would say now that @leighburke 's answer may be better.