Solved

How do you handle Dev/Test Workflows (Pre-Production)?

• 26 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

Hi, we want to align our workflows similar to our code building with a Dev, UAT and Prod environment style. With that said, making multiple copies of a workflow and keeping it all straight in the same NWC location is messy and not ideal. I thought I read somewhere about getting a separate site for this but can't recall where or how. How do you handle this AND if it is a separate site how do I get this started?

icon

Best answer by butlerj 27 August 2020, 15:47

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@NJohann while we are continuing to work on better ways to build and align to coding standards, right now most teams that I've worked with go about this one of two ways:

1. They will leverage a single NWC tenant, and they will use 'Development' allocated workflows for their 'Dev' and 'Test' stages which are often represented using tags (see below). They will then also have a 'Production' version of the workflow that only gets updated once dev work is complete

2. They will leverage two NWC tenants (you can request a separate dev tenant from either your CSM or AM), and they will then do all their development work on one and then transition the workflow to the "production" tenant when it's ready.

• Something to be aware of with this approach. If you are using form based workflows, you will most likely want to manually make your updates in your production tenant, as exporting and re-importing the workflow from "dev" to "prod" will cause the Form URL to change. If you're using event based workflows this isn't really as issue as there is no "public URL" for you to worry about.

• The team is working on a way for users to update workflows "in-place" so that public form URLs don't change, but that work is still in progress.

Badge +4

@butlerj Thank You! I had considered option 1 but my IT team fears our Workflow List will grow exponentially and be harder to manage even with tags. I'll look into Option 2, Thanks Again!